Carnosine 500 mg
Carnosine extract (anti-aging)
- Natural component of muscles, the brain, and other innervated tissues.
- Involved in the contraction of muscles, including heart tissue.
- Generating interest for slowing aging
Availability : is available
Certificate of Analysis
Damage to proteins is one of the key mechanisms of ageing. Essential for the body to function properly, proteins are destroyed by either oxidation (free radicals) or glycation (a reaction with glucose molecules).
Skin ageing is the most visible sign of protein damage, manifesting as wrinkles, loss of elasticity and reduced healing capacity. But the visible changes to the skin also reflect those affecting the whole body - muscles, blood vessels, the eyes, the brain and many other organs. When too many proteins cease to function, the body ages prematurely and becomes the target for degenerative diseases.
Studies show that the amino acid carnosine is the most effective antioxidant against the hydroxyl radical (proteins' no. 1 enemy) and the most powerful inhibitor of the glycation process which caramelises' proteins through cross-linking.
Research also shows that carnosine levels in muscles drops by more than 63% at the age of 70 - which could explain the decline in muscle mass typically seen with advancing age. The reduction in carnosine in the body, associated with increasing oxidative stress and reliance on high-carbohydrate diets, makes supplementation desirable, if not essential.
We believe carnosine to be the most important new product to appear in recent times in the field of nutrition. We're cutting its price significantly as we're keen it should not be prohibitively expensive to a wider market.
- Carnosine is one of the few nutrients with powerful, pluri-potent and proven activity.
- Carnosine protects proteins in the eye from damage caused by malondialdehyde (MDA) and stops MDA from inducing cross-linking
- Carnosine is concentrated in the brain and protects it from glycation, cross-linking, oxidation and excitotoxicity. It protects cerebral capillaries from damage caused by amyloid beta (seen abundantly in Alzheimer's disease), lipid peroxides and metabolism of alcohol.
- Carnosine extends the longevity of senescent cells, enabling them to continue dividing for longer, like young cells. In one in vitro study on fibroblasts (a type of cutaneous cell), longevity increased by 67%.
- Carnosine is even more effective as an anti-glycation agent than aminoguanadine and can prevent the development of cross-links in collagen.
- Carnosine is effective at treating senile cataracts, and at slowing down cataract development (as shown in studies on dogs and rabbits, respectively).
- Carnosine is one of a small group of substances which can extend the lifespan of mammals: mice treated with carnosine survived 20% longer than controls. In addition, they looked younger and their brains had significantly less malondiahyde (MDA) and monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) than controls, indicating more youthful metabolism of dopamine.
- Carnosine reduced peroxidation of cerebral lipids by 85% in mice subjected to intense stress, and increased six-fold the protective antioxidant activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in their brains.
- Carnosine is without doubt the most promising, multi-functional discovery of the past few years in the field of anti-ageing nutrition, influencing our longevity of our bodies as a whole, as well as at a cellular level. Research shows that it helps maintain the structural, functional and genetic integrity of the body - naturally and with no toxicity.
Some studies have demonstrated significant activity from carnosine at relatively low doses, around 150mg a day. Others show superior activity at higher doses - 1000-1500mg a day - levels at which the enzyme carnosinase (which damages carnosine) becomes saturated, making free carnosine available to the whole body.
Take two or three capsules a day at mealtimes.
Precautions: Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not replace a varied, balanced diet. Keep out of childrens' reach. Store away from direct light, heat and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, you should consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a health problem.