Astragaloside IV is present in minute amounts in the root of Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus), a plant particularly valued in traditional Chinese medicine. Through a highly complex and expensive process, it is extracted and concentrated in order to obtain an active amount. Commercially available products sold in the form of powder or astragalus extract do not contain detectable amounts of Astragaloside IV.
Astragalus root has been prescribed for centuries as a tonic, as well as to treat a wide range of diseases, to prevent weakness in patients and to protect them against infection.
Astragalus root contains, amongst others, a series of cycloartane glycosides called astragalosides I to VII. The most widely studied of these, in Chinese and European research centres, is astragaloside IV.
¤ Studies suggest, amongst others, that astragalus root extract and astragaloside IV have the following properties :
-Immunostimulant : acting through a number of different pathways, especially
- by increasing the number of stem cells in the spinal cord and lymphatic tissue and encouraging them to develop into active immune cells ;
- Anti-inflammatory as shown in certain animal models. The ability of astragaloside IV to stem inflammation of the airways in chronic asthma has been reported in studies on mice.
- by stimulating production of immunoglobulins and macrophages ;
- Antibacterial: as demonstrated by in vitro studies on Shigella dysenteriae, Streptococcus haemolyticus, Diplococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Antiviral: inhibiting replication of certain viruses such as coxsackie, responsible for myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle). In both animal and human studies, they were shown to stimulate endogenous interferon production and to maximise its effect on viral infections.
- Antioxidant: inhibiting lipid peroxidation by 40% in vitro. These antioxidant properties may go some way to explaining the cardio- and neuro-protective effects of astragalus and astragaloside IV.
-Cardioprotective: with studies highlighting health benefits for patients with congestive cardiac insufficiency and angina pectoris. Astragalus extracts have a cardiotonic effect.
-Neuroprotective: in traditional Chinese medicine, astragalus root extract is used to treat neurodegenerative diseases. One study demonstrated the capacity of astragaloside IV to protect dopaminergic neurons (progressive degeneration of dopaminergic neurons leads to the development of Parkinson's disease).
-Protective: against the toxic effects of chemotherapy. Astragalus extract boosts resistance to the immunosuppressive effects of chemotherapy drugs by encouraging macrophages to product interleukin 6 and tumour necrosis factor.
-Inhibitory against formation of the AGEs (advanced glycation end- products) involved in neuropathic complications of diabetes.
With so many beneficial properties, particularly immunostimulant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-glycation, astragaloside is a truly essential anti-aging supplement. Its exceptional properties are due to astragaloside's specific ability to activate telomerase, thus slowing down the shortening of telomeres, and extending cell lifespan. Shortening of telomers is associated with cellular ageing and the development of age-related diseases.
The shortest telomers have been observed in octogenarians. Research also suggests that individuals aged 60 or older with the shortest telomers appear to be at significantly higher risk of death from infectious disease or heart attacks. Conversely, studies have shown that stimulating telomerase may significantly increase cell lifespan.