Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum) has been used medicinally for over 2000 years – in ancient times, it was known with good reason as the “immortality mushroom”…
¤ Over recent decades, this moniker has been validated by scientific analysis of reishi’s various compounds. Research has confirmed that it has multiple properties which provide all-round protection from a range of life-shortening diseases.
¤ Among reishi’s hundreds of active compounds, three specific substances with potent effects have been identified:
• Polysaccharides (carbohydrates), which have anti-cancer effects due to their ability to prevent abnormal blood vessel formation and boost the immune system.
• Triterpenes, which protect the liver, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, prevent platelet aggregation and so reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack, combat histamine-triggered allergic reactions and also have anti-cancer activity.
• »Ganoderma lucidum peptide » , which has powerful antioxidant properties.
¤ Reishi also contains other unique compounds that stimulate the activation of immunity-modulating cell surface receptors, as well as a specific anti-tumour protein called LZ-8.
It is the concentration of these various compounds and the balance between them which account for reishi’s many health benefits. The most striking discovery of the last few years has been its impact on longevity, due to its most active components. Researchers found that reishi enhanced cellular immune systems and stimulated production of antibodies, so inciting a healthy immune response, while at the same time reducing the mechanism which generates inflammatory cytokines. In addition, what makes this mushroom so unique is its multi-faceted activity, producing important changes which help increase longevity:
• it protects cell DNA from oxidative damage which contributes to ageing and cancer;
• it protects mitochondrial DNA and the mitochondria themselves from oxidative damage which, by reducing their energy production capacities, makes them ineffective - another major cause of ageing;
• it increases the levels and activity of intracellular antioxidant enzymes so reducing cell membrane oxidation. In fact, it promotes endogenous production of antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase and glutathione;
• it protects the kidneys from oxidative damage and so lowers the risk of renal failure ;
• it increases the protective activity of haematopoietic stem cells, T lymphocytes and other key immune factors. It also boosts the number and function of all cell lines, particularly the Natural Killer Cells and T-cells responsible for antigenic response;
• it promotes the specialisation and activation of dendritic cells and macrophages which enable the body to respond to viral or cancer threats by supporting production of antibodies by B lymphocytes;
• it counteracts the inflammatory cytokines responsible for the pain of rheumatoid arthritis. Studies also show that Reishi extract inhibits certain allergic reactions including asthma and contact dermatitis;
• it increases expression of a longevity gene and extends life expectancy in many species, from yeasts and primitive worms to mammals such as mice.
In fact, a study on laboratory mice clearly showed that reishi consumption was associated with an increase in the animals’ lifespan of between 9% and 20%, which equates to between 7 and 16 additional years in humans!
¤ Thus, by combatting the mechanisms of immunosenescence, ie, the natural, progressive deterioration of the immune system, reishi protects against diseases that lead to premature death, and so extends lifespan. It is reishi’s broad-spectrum properties which help prevent and treat many age-related diseases and target the origins of the ageing process.
¤ New extraction technology has enabled a reishi extract to be obtained with even more ‘bioavailable’ active ingredients. And while the majority of extracts on the market are standardised in polysaccharides, Reishi Extract is also standardised in triterpenes. Taking two capsules a day therefore provides the complete spectrum of active compounds, offering wide-ranging support for immune function and thus a natural way to increase longevity.
Key points :
¤ Recent studies show that reishi contains hundreds of active ingredients able to combat many age-related diseases:
• animal studies show that it extends life expectancy by 9%-20%;
• it stimulates the immune system to guard against cancerous cells potentially lowering the risk of developing a fatal tumour;
• it can regulate an over-active immune system and thus help ease allergy symptoms, asthma and auto-immune diseases;
• independent of their immune-modulating effects, the active molecules in reishi are showing promise in the fight against neurodegenerative diseases, obesity, diabetes and liver disease.
Adults. Take 1 capsule twice a day.
Each capsule contains 500mg of reishi extract.
Precautions: Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not replace a varied, balanced diet. Keep out of childrens' reach. Store away from direct light, heat and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, you should consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a health problem.