Fructo-Oligosaccharides - Probiotics & Prebiotics
Improves intestinal health and boosts the body's own natural defences
Availability : is available
Certificate of Analysis
Short-chain fructo-oligosaccharides are obtained from sugar beet, by means of an enzyme produced by Aspergillus niger, a microscopic fungus widely used in the food industry. The effects of short-chain oligosaccharides have been demonstrated in over 150 scientific and medical studies, which have investigated the effects of daily consumption of 2.5 g.
¤ Fructo-oligosaccharides selectively nourish the bifidobacteria that benefit intestinal flora. A notable positive effect on the proliferation of these bacteria was observed at a dose of 2.5 g fructo-oligosaccharides a day, an effect which increased with doses up to 10 g a day. The bifidogenic effect is apparent after only four days of taking fructo-oligosaccharides.
¤ Fructo-oligosaccharides :
- improve digestive health :
- promote a healthy colon and digestive system. Taking fructo-oligosaccharides stimulates production of short-chain fatty acids, particularly butyrate, the fuel' of the colon. By increasing butyrate levels from intestinal fermentation, fructo-oligosaccharides help maintain a healthy intestinal mucous membrane. They also have a tendency to reduce the colon's pH, linked to the production of short chain fatty acids. This decrease in pH helps maintain the colon in a healthy state ;
- after 6 weeks' consumption, abdominal pain was reported to have decreased significantly. 96% of subjects observed a noticeable improvement in their digestion and 83% reported an improvement in their general well-being,
- taking 5 g fructo-oligosaccharides a day over six week reduced the intensity and occurrence of digestive problems, improving the digestion and quality of life of 105 volunteers with mild intestinal problems;
- a dose of 8 g a day has a beneficial effect on the lipid profile ;
- 10 g a day boosts magnesium and calcium absorption ; several studies have shown that it increases the absorption of isoflavones in food and improves bone mineral density.
¤ A number of studies have demonstrated a beneficial effect on the immune system, with a strengthening effect on the intestinal barrier and a reduction in potentially pathogenic bacteria in the intestinal system. By modulating intestinal flora and fermentation, they have a major effect on resistance to diseases such as cancer or inflammatory disorders. They
- reduce colonisation of the intestines by potentially pathogenic bacteria ;
- interact with the intestinal immune system ;
- modulate important cellular events in order to prevent cancer.
With a very similar structure to that of saccharose, fructo-oligosaccharides has the same sweet taste and texture. Their sweetening ability is around a third of that of saccharose but they have only 2 calories per gram, half that of sugar.
Adults. Use between 1/2 to 2 spoonfuls (2.5 g to 10 g) of fructo-oligosaccharides a day to sweeten food and drinks.
Precautions: Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not replace a varied, balanced diet. Keep out of childrens' reach. Store away from direct light, heat and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, you should consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a health problem.