Beta-sitosterol belongs to the family of phytosterols - compounds found widely in plants, fruits and vegetables.
Beta-sitosterol offers benefits in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BHP) by reducing the volume and inflammation of the prostate gland.
Provides long-lasting prostate relief
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BHP), also known as prostatic adenoma, is a disease in which the prostate increases in volume. It generally develops from around the age of sixty.
Among the most common symptoms are a frequent urge to urinate, problems with micturition, decreased urine flow, a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder and sometimes pain.
BHP originates in the pituitary gland which increases secretion of prolactin. This in turn stimulates production of an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase which converts testosterone into its active form - dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT production is considered a major cause of BHP, along with the increased levels of oestrogens that result from the conversion of testosterone by aromatase.
A large number of studies on beta-sitosterol have demonstrated its ability to fight the key symptoms of BHP, resulting in:
• a progressive decrease in prostate volume;
Safe and effective alternative to standard treatments
• fewer inflammatory symptoms (prostatis) which cause significant everyday discomfort;
• improvement in urine flow;
• a relaxant effect on bladder muscles which improves urine flow (stronger urine stream and less residual urine in the bladder).
Finasteride is the most commonly-prescribed medication for treating BPH. Though active in 50% of cases, it loses its efficacy once treatment is stopped and also has some side-effects (abdominal pain, skin rash, breast enlargement, migraine, fatigue, reduced libido…)
Alongside eating a Mediterranean diet rich in plant sterols, taking beta-sitosterol at this exact dose has proven to be as effective as finasteride, and it does not generate the latter’s unwelcome side-effects.
Beta-sitosterol’s various effects
Regular, daily supplementation produces multiple effects:
• inhibition of 5-alpha-reductase thus preventing testosterone from being converted into DHT;
• anti-oestrogen effect due to its anti-aromatase action;
• powerful anti-inflammatory effect eradicating most of the symptoms of prostatitis;
• reduction of blood cholesterol (some scientists have shown a correlation between increased prostate volume and cholesterol levels) and improvement in lipoprotein profiles. At higher doses, beta-sitosterol helps curb absorption of dietary cholesterol and reduce cholesterolaemia.
• inhibition of the development and growth of cancer cells (prostate, colon, leukaemia) via modification of lipid membrane composition, through the emission of a division-preventing « signal » ;
• specific immunity activity with a particular effect in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, lupus and hepatitis C;
• stabilisation of glycaemia by acting on glucose-6-phosphatase.
The main sources of beta-sitosterol are plants native to South Africa, such as Pygeum africanum, as well as Serenoa repens (saw palmetto), pumpkin seeds, pecan nuts, rice bran, sea buckthorn seed, goji berries and wheat germ. However, the amounts present in these foods are much too small to be truly effective and supplementation is therefore essential.
Beta-Sitosterol VegaPure® is standardised to 98% plant phytosterols and 45% beta-sitosterol. Each vegetarian capsule provides 60mg of beta-sitosterol. For optimal efficacy, a dose of 3 VCaps™ a day should be taken, spread across the day.
Beta-sitosterol is totally free from toxicity and completely safe to take. To further boost its effects, it can be combined with ProstaNatural Formula or even Prostaphil™