Gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA), an inhibitory neurotransmitter, is produced in the body from glutamate although its concentration decreases as we get older. This amino acid is used by the brain to promote calm and tranquillity by helping to neutralise the stimulating effects of glutamate. In other words, GABA is the brain's main weapon for fighting stress.
Studies show that GABA:
- has a relaxing effect and reduces anxiety in healthy subjects in stressful situations - just one hour after it is taken. At the same time, it boosts stress-weakened immunity;
- promotes relaxation and sleep: unlike many sleeping pills that target GABA receptors, GABA does not cause daytime drowsiness or dependence. By reducing anxiety, it promotes good quality, restorative rest;
- with inositol and nicotinamide, has beneficial effects on mood by preventing anxiety and stress from reaching the motor centres of the brain;
- may lower pain intensity due to its ability to reduce stress. Chronic pain, associated with stress, can lower GABA levels;
- has beneficial effects in epileptics who do not respond to conventional treatments;
- improved cognitive performance in elderly monkeys.
To maintain general well-being, you may be interested in neurotransmitter precursors that complement GABA, such as and , amino acid derivatives. These molecules can be converted into different neurotransmitters: dopamine which promotes a sense of well-being, noradrenaline, a brain stimulant, and serotonin which is involved in regulating biorhythms.
Take one tablet a day between meals.
Precautions: Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not replace a varied, balanced diet. Keep out of childrens' reach. Store away from direct light, heat and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, you should consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a health problem.