Annatto Tocotrienols 50 mg
Beneficial for cardiovascular health. 90% delta-tocotrienols, the most biologically active form of vitamin E.
Availability : is available
Certificate of Analysis
Tocotrienols extracted from annatto provide 90% delta-tocotrienols and 10% gamma-tocotrienols, two vitamin E isomers with particularly beneficial properties for cardiovascular health. Tocotrienols promote a balanced lipid profile, combat the development of atheromatous plaque in the arteries and help maintain healthy blood levels of glucose and triglycerides.
Delta-tocotrienol is the most powerful and effective isomer, particularly in terms of its effect on cholesterol.
Tocotrienols, like tocopherols, belong to the vitamin E family and though similar, their structure - with an isoprenoid side chain - differs from that of tocopherols. While tocopherols have a saturated side chain, tocotrienols have an unsaturated side chain with three conjugated double bonds.
Studies show that tocotrienols offer a number of benefits not shared by tocopherols:
- tocotrienols have a positive effect on cholesterol metabolism. They appear to inhibit production of an enzyme called 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase (HMGR-CoA), thus reducing the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver;
- two months' supplementation with annatto tocotrienols resulted in both a decrease in total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol, and an increase in HDL-cholesterol;
- tocotrienols have a beneficial effect on atherosclerosis: supplementation over four years had a regressive or stabilizing effect on carotid artery stenosis in patients suffering from atherosclerosis. They also lowered their LDL- and total cholesterol;
- animal studies suggest that tocotrienols lower blood pressure;
- in diabetic rats, a tocotrienol-rich diet produced a reduction in blood sugar and glycated haemoglobin, and also prevented the formation of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) in non-diabetic animals;
- in clinical studies on diabetic subjects, tocotrienols reduced glycaemia and levels of lipids and glycated haemoglobin, and also lowered raised insulin levels;
- in diabetics who have a higher-than-normal risk of atherosclerosis, tocotrienols appear to be able to prevent and treat hyperlipidaemia and atherogenesis;
- studies conducted on nematodes (Caenorhabditis elegans) show that tocotrienols increase their average lifespan;
- cancer research suggests that tocotrienols have anti-tumour effects. They have also shown that they inhibit cancer cell proliferation and induce their death, the most malignant cells being the most receptive to tocotrienols' apoptotic action. Cell studies have shown that tocotrienols inhibit growth of breast cancer cells - irrespective of oestrogen receptor status. They appear to act in synergy with tamoxifen, an anti-oestrogen drug widely used to treat breast cancer.
Alpha-tocopherol has the greatest physiological activity of all the forms of vitamin E and has an important place in any supplementation regime. But this is also the case for other forms such as gamma-tocopherol and the tocotrienols. The various forms of vitamin E offer complementary and important effects. In order to avoid competition between the different forms for absorption by the body, they should not all be taken at the same time of day.
Take two capsules a day with your evening meal.
Precautions: Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not replace a varied, balanced diet. Keep out of childrens' reach. Store away from direct light, heat and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, you should consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a health problem.