Astragaloside IV is an anti-ageing supplement with several beneficial properties, particularly immunostimulant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-glycation. Its exceptional properties are due to astragaloside's specific ability to activate telomerase, thus slowing down the shortening of telomeres, and extending cell lifespan. Shortening of telomers is associated with cellular ageing and the development of age-related diseases.
What are Astragaloside IV components?
Astragaloside IV is present in minute amounts in the root of Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus), a plant particularly valued in traditional Chinese medicine. Through a highly complex and expensive process, it is extracted and concentrated in order to obtain an active amount. Commercially available products sold in the form of powder or astragalus extract do not contain detectable amounts of Astragaloside IV. Astragalus root has been prescribed for centuries as a tonic, as well as to treat a wide range of diseases, to prevent weakness in patients and to protect them against infection. Astragalus root contains, amongst others, a series of cycloartane glycosides called astragalosides I to VII. The most widely studied of these, in Chinese and European research centres, is astragaloside IV. Studies suggest, amongst others, that astragalus root extract and astragaloside IV have the following properties:
- Immunostimulant: acting through a number of different pathways, especially by increasing the number of stem cells in the spinal cord and lymphatic tissue and encouraging them to develop into active immune cells and by stimulating production of immunoglobulins and macrophages;
- Anti-inflammatory: as shown in certain animal models. The ability of astragaloside IV to stem inflammation of the airways in chronic asthma has been reported in studies on mice.
- Antibacterial: as demonstrated by in vitro studies on Shigella dysenteriae, Streptococcus haemolyticus, Diplococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Antiviral: inhibiting replication of certain viruses such as coxsackie, responsible for myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle). In both animal and human studies, they were shown to stimulate endogenous interferon production and to maximise its effect on viral infections.
- Antioxidant: inhibiting lipid peroxidation by 40% in vitro. These antioxidant properties may go some way to explaining the cardio- and neuro-protective effects of astragalus and astragaloside IV.
- Cardioprotective: with studies highlighting health benefits for patients with congestive cardiac insufficiency and angina pectoris. Astragalus extracts have a cardiotonic effect.
- Neuroprotective: in traditional Chinese medicine, astragalus root extract is used to treat neurodegenerative diseases. One study demonstrated the capacity of astragaloside IV to protect dopaminergic neurons (progressive degeneration of dopaminergic neurons leads to the development of Parkinson's disease).
- Protective: against the toxic effects of chemotherapy. Astragalus extract boosts resistance to the immunosuppressive effects of chemotherapy drugs by encouraging macrophages to product interleukin 6 and tumour necrosis factor.
- Inhibitory against formation of the AGEs (advanced glycation end- products) involved in neuropathic complications of diabetes.
What do the studies show about Astragaloside IV?
Telomere shortening is currently one of the most widely-studied areas of anti-ageing medicine. Along with astragaloside IV, a number of natural active principles have been identified for their ability to protect telomeres or stimulate telomerase. Two such ingredients are cycloastragenol and resveratrol. Other beneficial compounds, such as vitamins C and E, carnosine and several natural antioxidants, have also been included in the enhanced formulation Telomeres Maintenance Formula. The shortest telomers have been observed in octogenarians. Research also suggests that individuals aged 60 or older with the shortest telomers appear to be at significantly higher risk of death from infectious disease or heart attacks. Conversely, studies have shown that stimulating telomerase may significantly increase cell lifespan.
CompositionAstragaloside IV 98%
|Daily dose : 2 capsules
Number of doses per pack : 30
|Amount per dose
|Astragaloside IV 98%
|Other ingredients : Acacia gum, rice flour.
Directions for useAstragaloside IV 98%
Adults. Take 1 to 2 capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 50 mg astragaloside IV.
Advice on taking Astragaloside IV and Resveratrol Synergy
We do not yet have enough evidence to recommend taking Astragaloside IV and Resveratrol Synergy together, every day, for prolonged periods.
At the moment, some people take Astragaloside IV in the morning (two capsules) then one capsule of Resveratrol Synergy at lunchtime and one in the evening.
Others alternate the two products: one on one day, the other the next day; one, for one week, the other for the following week; or one for one month and the other for the next month.
Some people take a break every month and some every three months, others do not. Choose the option that suits you best and gives you the most benefits.
There have been no reports so far of intolerance to these products.
Stimulating telomerase and increasing telomeres are without doubt the most promising ways of increasing life expectancy naturally. Animal and in vivo tests show that cycloastragenol is one of the very few substances - and the most powerful - that can appreciably increase such activity.
¤ Cycloastragenol is a saponin comprising a group of oil glucosides naturally present in a number of plants. It is extracted and purified from the root of the plant Astragalus membranaceus, which has been used in Chinese pharmacopaeia for thousands of years, particularly for its ability to slow down age-related degenerative processes. However, cycloastragenol is present in astragalus in minute quantities and extracting it is a highly complex and costly business.
¤ Cycloastragenol has a similar chemical structure to that of the Astragaloside IV molecule, but it is smaller and significantly more bioavailable, enabling lower doses to be taken. It is already used as an immunostimulant because of its ability to increase T lymphocyte proliferation. However, it is its exceptional anti-aging properties that are of increasing interest to the scientific community. Cycloastragenol stimulates the repair of DNA damage by activating telomerase, a nucleoprotein enzyme which catalyses synthesis and growth of telomeric DNA. Telomeres are made of thin filaments and are found at the tips of chromosomes. Maintaining their stability enables cells to avoid replicative senescence and indefinite proliferation beyond the Hayflick limit'. Telomeres shorten with each cycle of cell division, or when subjected to oxidative stress. Until now, this has been an unavoidable mechanism of aging.
Stimulating telomerase maintains telomere length
Recent studies have shown that shortened telomeres are responsible for a number of age-related diseases and are also predictive of premature death in elderly subjects. This has been confirmed by examining the immune response of T lymphocytes in terminal-phase infection, the T lymphocytes having significantly shortened telomeres. The study showed a noticeable fall in immune function and increased secretion of various cytokine-related pro-inflammatory factors. In contrast, maintaining a high telomerase level, whether through genetic manipulation or through the introduction of activating substances (such as cycloastragenol), curtails shortening of telomeres and even increases their numbers, restoring a more youthful T lymphocyte profile.
¤ Cycloastragenol can be combined with Astragaloside IV, to provide a wider spectrum of activity, or it can be alternated with it. We are not yet at a stage of being able to recommend taking both products together, every day, for long periods. However, no intolerance has been reported to date. For more information on how to take it, see the .
To provide effective and long-lasting support in the fight against premature ageing, other anti-ageing products may also be of interest. For example, our is a powerful natural antioxidant with recognised protective effects, while is a promising compound in the field of anti-ageing medicine.
|Daily dose : 2 capsules
Number of doses per pack : 15
|Amount per dose
| Cycloastragenol 98%
| Other ingredients : magnesium stearate, maltodextrin
Directions for useCycloastragenol 98%
Take one or two capsules a day, or as advised by your therapist. Each capsule contains 10 mg of cycloastragenol.