Lactoferrin, a glycoprotein, is one of the most active components of colostrum (the first form of breast milk) and of whey. It is a powerful antioxidant which also has remarkable and unrivalled immuno-stimulant, antiviral and anti-microbial properties. It belongs to the cytokine family, which is responsible for coordinating the cells' immune response to infections and tumours. In healthy individuals, lactoferrin is concentrated at the orifices (mouth, nose, eyes), protecting them from infections. Lactoferrin also works by binding to the iron around an infection, thus depriving it of a vital means of multiplying and growing - its affinity for iron is 3,000 times higher than that of serum transferrin: in the presence of lactoferrin, pathogenic bacteria are strongly inhibited, even eliminated. Iron bound to lactoferrin will then be re-circulated around the body for a prolonged period, helping to regulate iron metabolism in the case of either deficiency or excess. While many of lactoferrin's benefits originate from its affinity for iron, it has other, unrelated functions:
● It directly stimulates the immune system
● It has direct anti-bacterial properties (on Escherichia coli, salmonella, staphyloccus aureus), anti-fungal properties (on Candida albicans) and even anti-viral properties, as it naturally stimulates the growth of bifidobacteria, natural killer cells and neutrophil activity. This triple action makes this remarkable compound an essential part of any immune support programme.
● It stimulates the growth of ┬Ĺgood' intestinal flora
● It has direct antioxidant activity
● It helps control age-associated cell damage
Lactoferrin is also used by sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome and by those susceptible to iron deficiency (certain women, elderly people, vegetarians).
Lactoferrin thus offers numerous health-protective effects. Other powerful antioxidants that support lactoferrin are also available in the SuperSmart catalogue. , for example, is a fungus known for its antioxidant activity and multiple protective benefits. In addition, the anti-ageing formulation contains a selection of potent antioxidants which in particular include transresveratrol, quercetin and .
Take one or two capsules a day, as required, or as advised by your therapist.
Precautions: Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not replace a varied, balanced diet. Keep out of childrens' reach. Store away from direct light, heat and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, you should consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a health problem.