While there are many dietary supplements aimed at maintaining a healthy urinary system, few of them target all the mechanisms involved, encompassing bladder, kidney and prostate health. SuperSmart’s Complete Uricare, is one formulation that does. It contains a whole host of carefully-selected natural active nutrients. Free from side-effects, it constitutes a powerful aid for restoring a healthy and effective urinary system.
Who is the Complete UriCare aimed at?
Complete Uricare is for anyone suffering from urinary issues (urine leakage, incontinence, repeated infections, over-active bladder…) as well as those at particular risk of such problems:
- Those over 60 (almost half of all women in this age group suffer from frequent urine infections, and it is at this age that problems with incontinence start to appear).
- Men over 50 (enlargement of the prostate compresses the urethra which slows down urine evacuation and facilitates infections).
- Those who frequently need to urinate during the day.
- Those who have trouble ‘holding on’.
- Menopausal women (who are at increased risk of vaginal infections due to lower oestrogen levels).
- Diabetics (raised sugar levels in their urine increases the risk of infection).
- Those who sometimes experience pain or burning when urinating.
- Those whose urine is cloudy.
- Those who often experience heaviness in their lower abdomen.
- Sexually-active women (the risk of infection is 50 times higher in women than in men).
- Women who use sanitary towels or tampons during their periods (the perfect breeding ground for pathogenic bacteria).
What are the ingredients in Complete UriCare and how are they beneficial?
Complete Uricare contains several natural ingredients chosen for their benefits for urinary health and synergistic action.
A reputable pumpkin seed extract (Go-Less®). Pumpkin seeds have been used for centuries in Central America to treat nephritis and disorders of the urinary system such as incontinence. The German Commission E recognises pumpkin seeds for their ability to relieve symptoms of irritable bladder and for treating problems with micturition (bedwetting, enuresis, incontinence). Studies have confirmed that supplementing with pumpkin seed extract provides relief from these problems (3).
The pumpkin seed extract in this formulation is combined with a soy germ extract (SoyLife) under the brand name Go-Less®. This blend of pumpkin seed and soy germ extracts has been clinically studied for its benefits for the urinary system and in particular the bladder. Suitable for both men and women, it promotes regulation of bladder movements and prevents irritation caused by various factors such as the bladder compression that often accompanies an enlarged prostate.
D-mannose. D-mannose is a sugar which is not absorbed by the body. It is closely related to sugars naturally present on cell surfaces in the urinary tract. Pathogenic bacteria latch on to these surfaces to get to the bladder. When D-mannose is present in urine, these bacteria tend to bind to these sugars rather than to the urinary tract cell walls and can thus be easily excreted in urine (1). Several clinical trials have confirmed the benefits of D-mannose in preventing urinary problems (2).
Angelica (angelica archangelica). Angelica is a medicinal plant used for centuries to relieve gastrointestinal spasms, bloating and problems of the urinary system. Pharmacological tests have shown it to be powerfully antiseptic due to its high content of furanocoumarins, phytosterols and essential oil. It has an inhibitory effect on urease, an enzyme found in certain yeasts and pathogenic bacteria, including the dreaded Helicobacter pylori.
Zinc. Zinc is a trace-element (ie, it is only found in minute quantities in the human body) which helps maintain and restore normal function in the immune system, particularly in the urinary tract. Nowadays, zinc intake has decreased significantly due to modern farming methods which deplete the soil, and the refining of cereals. It’s not helped by alcohol consumption, drugs, diabetes, and digestive absorption problems (such as Crohn’s disease), all of which are on the increase, and go a long way to explaining the deficiency in zinc currently affecting countries in the West.
Molybdenum. Like zinc, molybdenum is a trace-element that’s essential for health. It’s mainly present in the kidneys where it plays a vital role in protein synthesis and healthy urinary tract function.
Varuna (crataeva nurvala). Also known as three-leaved caper, varuna is a plant from Ayurvedic medicine with properties that support the kidneys and bladder. It is considered one of the best anti-lithogenic herbs, ie, it prevents the formation of kidney stones and may even break them up. This is due to the presence of lupeol, a compound that combats the enzyme responsible for forming the crystals. It’s also believed to improve problems of micturition, particularly those related to an enlarged prostate. These effects are only now beginning to attract support from researchers, the scientific community having long been reluctant to consider traditional medicines.
Extract of berberine. Berberine is a plant substance with significant therapeutic potential (antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar-lowering, hypotensive and hypolipidaemic effects). It is primarily used to reduce glycaemia in diabetics, but can also help prevent urinary infections: with its natural, broad-spectrum antibiotic activity, it combats the bacteria, protozoa and fungi involved in numerous infections.
Together, these various ingredients act symbioticallyeffective functioning of the urinary system as a whole.
5 good reasons to try Complete UriCare
- It targets all the organs in the urinary system: the kidneys (which are responsible for filtering the blood and eliminating waste products in urine), the ureter (which transports urine from the kidneys to the bladder), the bladder (which acts as a reservoir for urine), the urethra (responsible for taking urine from the bladder and expelling it from the body), as well as the prostate which affects urinary function.
- Urinary tract problems affect a large percentage of the population although many such problems can be prevented or at least delayed, particularly those relating to the prostate, and incontinence.
- Repeated urine infections can lead to a more serious kidney problem called pyelonephritis. In rare cases, they can even cause septicaemia or kidney failure.
- Taking antibiotics for urinary tract problems can have adverse effects on health in the long term. It can result in resistant bacteria that are difficult to eradicate and promote vaginal mycosis by destroying beneficial flora. It’s better to take preventive measures using natural substances.
- The unrivalled quality of the micronutrients chosen for this formulation, and the use of entirely natural excipients (rice flour and acacia fibre) make this supplement an essential choice for anyone.
What are the main problems associated with the urinary system?
As we age, the most common urinary tract problem we face is urinary incontinence. This is characterised by involuntary, uncontrollable urine leaks, both day and night. Those with the condition are often anxious and isolated, fearful of accidents and nasty odours. Having to plan for the smallest journey can discourage sufferers from straying far from their homes. Taking action to prevent this type of urinary problem is thus almost obligatory for anyone over the age of 60.
Another common problem is cystitis, an infection which mainly affects women (who have a much shorter urethra than men). This is inflammation of the bladder and usually occurs when bacteria outside the body enter the urinary tract through the urethra and begin to multiply. The longer urine remains in the bladder, the more time the bacteria have to proliferate and cause infection: it’s urinary flow that expels bacteria and impedes their advance towards the kidneys. Anything that slows down emptying of the bladder, for example, using a diaphragm for contraception, thus increases the risk of cystitis. This is also the case for anything that irritates the urethra mucosa such as feminine deodorants and some personal hygiene products. Sexually-transmitted infections (such as chlamydia or gonorrhoea) can also affect the urinary tract, as can abnormalities of the ureter.
What additional measures can be combined with taking Complete Uricare?
- Drink plenty of fluid to maintain a good urinary flow.
- Don’t wait too long to go to the toilet: retaining urine in the bladder for too long gives bacteria more opportunity to multiply and travel back up.
- Go to the toilet straight after sexual intercourse.
- Drink cranberry juice regularly (or take an extract of dried cranberry standardised in proanthocyanidins) if you suffer from frequent urinary tract infections: a number of meta-analyses (4-5) have demonstrated cranberry juice’s ability to significantly reduce repeat infections (around 35% fewer recurrences in a year).
- Reduce your consumption of coffee, alcohol and caffeinated drinks: these compounds particularly irritate the bladder.
- Try consuming nettles (in the form of teas made from the leaves or dried flowers) and horsetail (in teas made from the aerial parts). These two plants are recognised by the Commission E for treating bacterial infections of the bladder and urethra.
- Reduce consumption of sugary foods and meat(6), both of which have an adverse effect on the bacterial composition of stools and promote urinary infections.
- Combine Complete Uricare with other herbs such as black radish, ginger, artichoke or milk thistle, and other supplements such as if your problems are prostate-related, , if you’re prone to urinary tract infections or , a supplement formulated to relieve occasion urinary discomfort and sensitivity.
Note: this product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the directions for use, the recommended daily dose and the ‘use-by’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of reach of young children. Store in a cool, dry place.
- Domenici L, Monti M, Bracchi C, Giorgini M, Colagiovanni V, Muzii L, et al. D-mannose: a promising support for acute urinary tract infections in women. A pilot study. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2016;20(13):2920-5.
- Kranjcec B, Papes D, Altarac S. D-mannose powder for prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections in women: a randomized clinical trial. World J Urol. 2014;32(1):79-84.
- Friederich M, Theurer C, Schiebel-Schlosser G. Prosta Fink Forte capsules in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Multicentric surveillance study in 2245 patients, Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2000 Aug;7(4):200-4.
- Guay DR. Cranberry and urinary tract infections. Drugs. 2009;69(7):775-807. doi: 10.2165/00003495-200969070-00002. Review.
- Wing DA, Rumney PJ, et al. Daily cranberry juice for the prevention of asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy: a randomized, controlled pilot study. J Urol. 2008 Oct;180(4):1367-72.
- Manges AR, Smith SP, et al. Retail meat consumption and the acquisition of antimicrobial resistant Escherichia coli causing urinary tract infections: a case-control study. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2007 Winter;4(4):419-31.
Adults. Take 4 capsules a day.
Prosta-Friendly, a natural, cranberry-based supplement
Prosta-Friendly is a 100% natural cranberry supplement formulated from the fruit of the Vaccinium macrocarpon species. Recognised as a natural aid for preventing and treating urinary infections, cranberry is also beneficial for prostate health, as has been demonstrated by a number of scientific studies conducted over recent years. As a result of such research, scientists believe cranberry is able to combat prostate symptoms, with studies focusing in particular on the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate).
Significant benefits for benign prostatic hyperplasia
Prostate problems are common in men over 50. More than 50% of men in their sixties and 70% of men in their seventies suffer from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). This condition is characterised by changes in the bladder which can have a significant impact on daily life. It produces troublesome, restricting symptoms such as:
- poor urinary flow;
- a sensation of incomplete emptying of the bladder;
- the need to urinate frequently;
- increased nocturnal urination (waking two or more times a night);
- chronic inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis);
- kidney problems;
- risk of microbial infections.
Reduction in levels of prostate specific antigen
Several studies show that cranberry’s benefits may be linked to a reduction in levels of prostate specific antigen or PSA. This is a protein produced by the prostate gland which liquefies semen, allowing sperm to move more freely. PSA is generally present in small quantities in men’s blood, but can be elevated in the presence of prostate disorders. Measuring PSA levels is indeed used in the diagnosis of BPH or prostate cancer. Reducing PSA concentrations may therefore have a beneficial effect in combatting BPH.
Cranberry extract with proven efficacy
To provide optimal efficacy, our Prosta-Friendly supplement has been formulated from a cranberry extract with proven efficacy. The therapeutic qualities of this extract were assessed in a study using the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS), a diagnostic tool which enables identification of the presence or development of BPH. The study confirmed the following association between use of this cranberry extract and improvements in quality of life and symptoms of BPH:
- a 25% improvement with a 250mg dose of cranberry extract;
- a 44% improvement with a 500mg dose of cranberry extract.
In particular, researchers observed a reduction in the need to urinate during the day, less waking in the night and a decrease in the sensation of incomplete emptying of the bladder. To fully capitalise on these beneficial effects, Prosta-Friendly has been formulated to provide 250mg of cranberry extract per capsule.
Prosta-Friendly, a safe, optimal formulation
Our dietary supplement Prosta-Friendly is formulated from cranberry powder, obtained via a proprietary process to produce optimal efficacy. It has no side effects and is effective within around four weeks. This natural alternative for prostate health is available to buy on-line, with a suggested dose of two capsules a day.
Adult males. Take 2 capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 250 mg Flowens™.