Inspired by the sacred practices of Ayurveda, Bacopa monnieri 100 mg is a nootropic supplement, made from Bacopa leaves and standardised to 50% bacosides (the chemical compounds responsible for its nootropic effects).
It helps improve memory, learning capacity and information-processing, while at the same time supporting the whole central nervous system in functioning properly. It is often combined with Ginkgo biloba, another ‘gold-standard’ of Ayurvedic medicine.
Who should take Bacopa Monnieri 100 mg?
Bacopa monnieri 100 mg is aimed at many groups of people:
- Those over 50 who want to combat cognitive decline.
- Those who frequently experience recall problems and feel as if they’re losing their memory.
- Those wishing to boost their cognitive function.
- Those looking for a natural-source, traditionally-used nootropic.
- Those with a parent, brother or sister affected by serious cognitive decline.
What benefits does Bacopa Monnieri 100 mg offer?
According to ancient Ayurvedic writings, Bacopa monnieri was recommended for various conditions of the central nervous system and mind: attention deficit, memory problems, chronic stress, decline in cognitive performance … It was used to stimulate awareness and help maintain an alert mind.
Today, research is beginning to confirm such anecdotal use. Many studies, including clinical trials, suggest that extracts of Bacopa monnieri help to improve certain cognitive functions and maintain memory(1-3) (retrieval of information (4-5), learning capacity, associative memory (6), visual memory, work memory etc.).
As is the case for almost all Ayurvedic plants, scientists have discovered mechanisms of action that support the claims made for this nootropic.
Bacopa monnieri’s mechanisms of action
Bacopa monnieri primarily encourages the formation of synapses (7-9), the junctions between two neurons which ensure that information is transmitted and neural circuits are maintained. All our cognitive abilities depend on these circuits: if they become weak or disappear, our performance declines. How does Bacopa monnieri do this? By triggering the production of several molecules central to healthy synaptic function: glutamate and neutrophins such as BDNF and NGF (10-12). These molecules are crucial for initiating the process (13-14). They support the creation of neural circuits (an essential stage in learning), help to maintain existing circuits (vital for preserving memories) and are involved in a cascade of neuromolecular events that support cognitive performance.
Recent double-blind trials showed improvements in cognitive function following supplementation (15-16). Standardised extracts of Bacopa containing at least 50% bacosides (the compounds responsible for the previously-mentioned effects) have also produced positive effects on short-term memory in healthy individuals (17-20).
5 good reasons to choose Bacopa Monnieri 100 mg from SuperSmart
When deciding which Bacopa monnieri supplement to buy, be sure to keep in mind the advantages offered by our product:
- Bacopa leaves were traditionally pressed to extract the juice which was then dried into a powder and made into a very sweet syrup in order to mask the bitter taste of the Bacopa.
Though 100% inspired by this ancient practice, Bacopa Monnieri 100 mg is a product with neither sugar nor bitterness.
- Bacopa Monnieri 100 mg is a leaf extract which contains all the naturally-occurring compounds. It’s important to remember this as many cheaper supplements are made from the plant’s roots or stems.
- Each vegetarian capsule contains 100 mg of Bacopa monnieri extract standardised to provide at least 50% bacosides (the maximum available, with supplements generally offering between 20% and 50%).
- In India, Bacopa is currently recognised by medical authorities as a valid treatment for several types of mental and intellectual dysfunction.
- Bacopa Monnieri 100 mg contains no chemical bulking agents: just Bacopa monnieri leaves, acacia fibre and rice flour.
Additional measures to make Bacopa Monnieri even more effective
There are two types of intervention for improving aspects of cognition: taking nootropics such as Bacopa monnieri and brain training(21-23). A large number of studies show that brain training reduces age-related cognitive decline (24-27), and some suggest it is even more effective when combined with Bacopa monnieri supplementation.
The theory behind this potential synergy is quite simple.
Brain training reactivates neural circuits that were previously under-exploited or were in decline (28-30). As we age, many neural circuits disappear or become weaker in areas of the brain important for cognition and memory, such as the hippocampus, the striatum and the prefrontal cortex (31-32). When brain training is practiced frequently, it repeatedly reactivates these circuits and improves the connection between the neurons of which they’re composed (33). As a result, it helps boost or reorganise them more effectively. This reinforcement involves several molecules mentioned earlier in this article: glutamate, BDNF and TGF.
Molecules whose production is promoted by Bacopa.
In other words, brain training is the stimulus which signals to the body that it’s time to boost its neural circuits. Bacopa is the supplier, providing the elements it needs in order to do so.
It’s therefore highly recommended that alongside supplementation with Bacopa monnieri, brain training, such as puzzles, brain-teasers and a range of cognitive tasks, is practised regularly. The aim of this combined approach is to counteract the cognitive losses that lead to decline. It needs to be maintained for at least 12 weeks to be effective.
Bacopa monnieri can also be combined with Ginkgo biloba supplements to increase blood supply to the brain and help maintain cognitive function.
If you’re interested in other natural Ayurvedic products, you may wish to consider:
Are there any precautions to be taken or interactions to be aware of?
As a precautionary measure, Bacopa monnieri is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Bacopa monnieri can in theory increase the effects of phenothiazine, a neuroleptic drug.
This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the guidelines on how to take it and the recommended dose, and to use it by the ‘best before’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place.
CompositionBacopa monnieri 100 mg
|Daily serving: 6 capsules
Number of servings per bottle: 16
| Bacopa monnieri (leaf extract standardised to provide 50% baccosides)
|Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice flour.
Each vegetarian capsule contains 100 mg Bacopa monnieri extract standardised to provide at least 50% baccosides.
Directions for useBacopa monnieri 100 mg
Take one or two capsules, one to three times a day, as required or as advised by your therapist.
Ginkgo biloba 25mg is an exceptional supplement formulated from one of the oldest species of tree on Earth. Now one of the world’s most widely-used supplements , Ginkgo biloba boasts numerous scientifically-supported benefits for the circulation and for cognitive function.
The supplement offered by SuperSmart differs from other such products in that it has a very high content of active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B et C, bilobalides). Unlike many average products on the market, this supplement is composed exclusively of natural ingredients (natural extract of Ginkgo biloba, rice flour and acacia fibre).
Who is Ginkgo Biloba 60mg aimed at?
A truly exceptional species, Ginkgo biloba can improve daily life for all sorts of people.
Nonetheless, it is especially recommended for those at higher risk of cognitive decline and circulation problems:
- those aged over 50, particularly women;
- those who suffer with circulation problems;
- those who are not very physically active;
- those with raised cholesterol levels;
- those who smoke;
- those with hypertension;
- those who are overweight;
- those with a parent, brother or sister affected by significant cognitive decline.
What are the benefits offered by Ginkgo biloba?
Therapeutic use of Ginkgo biloba among Asian populations dates back thousands of years: it is actually one of traditional Chinese medicine’s most important plants.
Substantiating the experiences of these forebears, more than 200 studies conducted over the course of the 20th century have confirmed the effects of ginkgo biloba on circulation and brain function (1).
A positive effect on circulation
There are many compounds responsible for this effect, the most important of which are without doubt the flavonoids. These antioxidants are recognised for acting at all levels of the circulatory system (2). Ginkgo biloba contains a large number of them such as kaempferol, quercetol and luteolin, grouped together under the name ginkgo flavonglycosides. Once ingested, they help:
- relax capillary resistance;
- increase blood flow to the brain;
- combat platelet activating factor which promotes blood viscosity and inflammation of blood vessels (3-4);
- act as ‘flak-jackets’ against oxidising agents circulating in the blood that damage blood vessels (5-6);
- improve the fat and carbohydrate metabolism implicated in inflammation of blood vessel walls (7);
- improve the circulation (8-9).
Benefits for cognitive decline
Research shows that Ginkgo biloba is able to optimise cognitive function while at the same time slowing down cerebral ageing. Its high content of terpene lactones (primarily bilobalides) means it is able to protect mitochondrial barriers from oxidising elements (10-11), which helps increase energy production (fewer ‘leaks’). It also consolidates neural circuits which ensures the preservation of our memories and the optimisation of our cognitive faculties. (14).
In addition to its effect on mitochondrial function, Ginkgo biloba extract also contributes to several physiological improvements in cognitive health:
- increased serotonin in synapses which boosts activity in the hippocampus, a memory-integrating structure in the brain;
- stronger expression of the genes that control synaptic growth in neurons (15) ;
- deactivation of NF-kB, a pro-inflammatory molecule implicated in neuro death.
- Two recent meta-analyses identified studies highlighting these effects on the brain and confirmed ginkgo’s efficacy for improving daily life and problems with cognitive function (difficulty concentrating, changes in memory, confusion, low cognitive efficiency ...) (16).
5 good reasons to choose SuperSmart’s Ginkgo Biloba 60mg
- It’s an exceptionally high-quality product
with a high content in active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides
and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B and C, bilobalides).
- the excipients used are
100% natural (acacia and rice flour).
- Ginkgo biloba is an extremely hardy species
: it has adapted to all the climate changes that have taken place over the last 150 million years or more, making it a genuine ‘living fossil’. In 1945, four ginkgo biloba trees survived the nuclear bomb at Hiroshima despite being located less than 3 kilometres from the impact. A feat which is testimony to their
- The lifespan of the Ginkgo biloba is extraordinary: the oldest specimens are 4000 years old and 40 metres tall. This longevity is attributed to the remarkable combination of micronutrients found in the tree’s cells which enables it to resist disease, parasites, pollutants, heat, insects and even ageing itself.
- It’s one of the most clinically-tested natural substances for improving the circulation and optimising cognitive function.
Additional steps you can take to enhance the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba supplementation
In order to deliver the benefits of Ginkgo biloba, our supplement is offered at a suggested dose of three capsules a day, to be taken with meals. While it can be adjusted in line with your needs and the advice of your therapist, this dose corresponds to the recommendations of Commission E (an independent scientific advisory board), the WHO and the IQWIG (an independent agency responsible for assessing the quality and efficiency of ingredients, amongst others). As ginkgo’s effects take a little while to be fully appreciated, it is advisable to continue supplementation for at least two to three months.
To enhance its efficacy, you can also adopt the following measures throughout the supplementation period:
1) Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible and consider taking a multivitamin supplement. Restoring optimal nutritional status in antioxidant micronutrients is essential for combatting cognitive decline and circulation problems.
2) Start taking exercise again, or if you’re already doing so, gradually increase its intensity. This will increase neurogenesis - the production of new neurons – and improve the volume of blood in the brain, resulting in improved cognitive performance. It will also promote compression of the muscles adjacent to veins, facilitating venous return.
3) Ensure you drink more water than usual (to prevent dehydration) and do deep breathing exercises several times during the day.
An age-old witness to the history of the world and humankind, Ginkgo biloba has managed to withstand all the challenges it has faced over time because of its unique richness in micronutrients. SuperSmart has harnessed the best of this remarkable tree to produce a 100% natural supplement.
This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the guidelines on how to take it and the recommended dose, and to use it by the ‘best before’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place
CompositionGinkgo Biloba 60 mg
|Daily serving: 3 capsules
Number of servings per bottle : 30
|Ginkgoflavonglycosides (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 24% ginkgoflavon-glycosides
||43.2 mg |
|Terpene lactones (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 6% terpene lactones)
||10.8 mg |
|Ginkgolide A (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 1.5% ginkgolide A)
||2.7 mg |
|Ginkgolide B (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 1.2% of ginkgolide B)
||2.16 mg |
| Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice bran. |
Each vegetarian capsule contains 60 mg of Ginkgo biloba extract.
Directions for useGinkgo Biloba 60 mg
Take 2 to 3 capsules a day during the meal.