Ginkgo biloba 25mg is an exceptional supplement formulated from one of the oldest species of tree on Earth. Now one of the world’s most widely-used supplements , Ginkgo biloba boasts numerous scientifically-supported benefits for the circulation and for cognitive function.
The supplement offered by SuperSmart differs from other such products in that it has a very high content of active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B et C, bilobalides). Unlike many average products on the market, this supplement is composed exclusively of natural ingredients (natural extract of Ginkgo biloba, rice flour and acacia fibre).
Who is Ginkgo Biloba 60mg aimed at?
A truly exceptional species, Ginkgo biloba can improve daily life for all sorts of people.
Nonetheless, it is especially recommended for those at higher risk of cognitive decline and circulation problems:
- those aged over 50, particularly women;
- those who suffer with circulation problems;
- those who are not very physically active;
- those with raised cholesterol levels;
- those who smoke;
- those with hypertension;
- those who are overweight;
- those with a parent, brother or sister affected by significant cognitive decline.
What are the benefits offered by Ginkgo biloba?
Therapeutic use of Ginkgo biloba among Asian populations dates back thousands of years: it is actually one of traditional Chinese medicine’s most important plants.
Substantiating the experiences of these forebears, more than 200 studies conducted over the course of the 20th century have confirmed the effects of ginkgo biloba on circulation and brain function (1).
A positive effect on circulation
There are many compounds responsible for this effect, the most important of which are without doubt the flavonoids. These antioxidants are recognised for acting at all levels of the circulatory system (2). Ginkgo biloba contains a large number of them such as kaempferol, quercetol and luteolin, grouped together under the name ginkgo flavonglycosides. Once ingested, they help:
- relax capillary resistance;
- increase blood flow to the brain;
- combat platelet activating factor which promotes blood viscosity and inflammation of blood vessels (3-4);
- act as ‘flak-jackets’ against oxidising agents circulating in the blood that damage blood vessels (5-6);
- improve the fat and carbohydrate metabolism implicated in inflammation of blood vessel walls (7);
- improve the circulation (8-9).
Benefits for cognitive decline
Research shows that Ginkgo biloba is able to optimise cognitive function while at the same time slowing down cerebral ageing. Its high content of terpene lactones (primarily bilobalides) means it is able to protect mitochondrial barriers from oxidising elements (10-11), which helps increase energy production (fewer ‘leaks’). It also consolidates neural circuits which ensures the preservation of our memories and the optimisation of our cognitive faculties. (14).
In addition to its effect on mitochondrial function, Ginkgo biloba extract also contributes to several physiological improvements in cognitive health:
- increased serotonin in synapses which boosts activity in the hippocampus, a memory-integrating structure in the brain;
- stronger expression of the genes that control synaptic growth in neurons (15) ;
- deactivation of NF-kB, a pro-inflammatory molecule implicated in neuro death.
- Two recent meta-analyses identified studies highlighting these effects on the brain and confirmed ginkgo’s efficacy for improving daily life and problems with cognitive function (difficulty concentrating, changes in memory, confusion, low cognitive efficiency ...) (16).
5 good reasons to choose SuperSmart’s Ginkgo Biloba 60mg
- It’s an exceptionally high-quality product
with a high content in active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides
and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B and C, bilobalides).
- the excipients used are
100% natural (acacia and rice flour).
- Ginkgo biloba is an extremely hardy species
: it has adapted to all the climate changes that have taken place over the last 150 million years or more, making it a genuine ‘living fossil’. In 1945, four ginkgo biloba trees survived the nuclear bomb at Hiroshima despite being located less than 3 kilometres from the impact. A feat which is testimony to their
- The lifespan of the Ginkgo biloba is extraordinary: the oldest specimens are 4000 years old and 40 metres tall. This longevity is attributed to the remarkable combination of micronutrients found in the tree’s cells which enables it to resist disease, parasites, pollutants, heat, insects and even ageing itself.
- It’s one of the most clinically-tested natural substances for improving the circulation and optimising cognitive function.
Additional steps you can take to enhance the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba supplementation
In order to deliver the benefits of Ginkgo biloba, our supplement is offered at a suggested dose of three capsules a day, to be taken with meals. While it can be adjusted in line with your needs and the advice of your therapist, this dose corresponds to the recommendations of Commission E (an independent scientific advisory board), the WHO and the IQWIG (an independent agency responsible for assessing the quality and efficiency of ingredients, amongst others). As ginkgo’s effects take a little while to be fully appreciated, it is advisable to continue supplementation for at least two to three months.
To enhance its efficacy, you can also adopt the following measures throughout the supplementation period:
1) Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible and consider taking a multivitamin supplement. Restoring optimal nutritional status in antioxidant micronutrients is essential for combatting cognitive decline and circulation problems.
2) Start taking exercise again, or if you’re already doing so, gradually increase its intensity. This will increase neurogenesis - the production of new neurons – and improve the volume of blood in the brain, resulting in improved cognitive performance. It will also promote compression of the muscles adjacent to veins, facilitating venous return.
3) Ensure you drink more water than usual (to prevent dehydration) and do deep breathing exercises several times during the day.
An age-old witness to the history of the world and humankind, Ginkgo biloba has managed to withstand all the challenges it has faced over time because of its unique richness in micronutrients. SuperSmart has harnessed the best of this remarkable tree to produce a 100% natural supplement.
This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the guidelines on how to take it and the recommended dose, and to use it by the ‘best before’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place
CompositionGinkgo Biloba 60 mg
|Daily serving: 3 capsules
Number of servings per bottle : 30
|Ginkgoflavonglycosides (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 24% ginkgoflavon-glycosides
||43.2 mg |
|Terpene lactones (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 6% terpene lactones)
||10.8 mg |
|Ginkgolide A (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 1.5% ginkgolide A)
||2.7 mg |
|Ginkgolide B (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 1.2% of ginkgolide B)
||2.16 mg |
| Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice bran. |
Each vegetarian capsule contains 60 mg of Ginkgo biloba extract.
Directions for useGinkgo Biloba 60 mg
Take 2 to 3 capsules a day during the meal.
Hear Loss Formula is an exceptional supplement which combines the best compounds for slowing down age-related hearing problems and helping to improve hearing.
Based on the latest scientific studies, its formulation includes molecules that promote blood vessel dilation in the inner ear, increase production of the most effective endogenous antioxidants and combat the free radicals that affect the auditory system.
Who is Hear Loss Formula aimed at?
This supplement is for anyone who wants to protect themselves against hearing problems, particularly those related to age (presbycusis).
It is also designed for those who have existing hearing problems:
- age-related hearing loss (increasing difficulty hearing, interpreting and understanding sounds in their environment);
- hearing loss that occurs following trauma (chronic or acute);
- hyperacusis (hypersensitivity to sounds and noise).
- tinnitus (whistling and buzzing in the ear);
How does Hear Loss formula work?
Age-related hearing loss is the result of inevitable deterioration of the auditory system. Over time, the 30,000 hair cells of the inner ear (those that detect sound) become damaged and are permanently lost. Like presbyopia (long-sightedness), this process starts to develop after the age of 50, with high frequencies particularly affected as it is this type of frequency which is processed by the most sophisticated hair cells.
The best way of lessening the intensity of this process is to combat the formation of free radicals in the ear. These harmful molecules, which can alter the ear’s cells, are generated by numerous factors such as smoking, excess weight, poor diet, the majority of the most popular over-the-counter medicines, and above all, noise, whether chronic or occasional (1). A number of studies have shown that excessive noise mechanically and irreversibly alters hair cells in the cochlea throughout life.
If the noise is sufficiently loud, the free radicals will cause many cells to die, producing vasoconstriction (narrowing of blood vessels) in the ear, which in turn leads to the generation of yet more free radicals (2-5), as is the case during a heart attack. After several decades, the accumulation of these cell deaths manifests in incapacitating hearing loss, though it is after the age of 50 that this all speeds up.
To counteract these processes and delay ageing of the inner ear, Hear Loss Formula draws on four strategies:
- Increasing the rate of endogenous production of those antioxidants which are most beneficial for hearing such as superoxide dismutase (6) and glutathione. This role is fulfilled by magnesium (7), as well as by lipoic acid and N-acetylcysteine.
- Promoting small blood vessel dilation in the inner ear in order to reduce and repair free radical-induced damage to the cochlea, and even restore some of the capacity lost. Magnesium, vinpocetine, quercetin and ginkgo biloba are the compounds in Hear Loss Formula responsible for these effects.
- Curbing excess release of calcium into cells, a process brought on by acoustic trauma and which leads to cell death.
- Delivering exogenous antioxidants (particularly those with synergistic effects such as magnesium) to complement and boost the action of endogenous antioxidants (8-12). Vitamins E and D, quercetin and vitamin B9 perform this function.
What is in Hear Loss Formula?
This supplement has been formulated to incorporate all the nutrients beneficial for combatting hearing problems. Strengths have been selected to ensure balance and encourage the best possible synergy between compounds.
Magnesium (180mg a day)
Magnesium (in the form of magnesium aspartate) is the formulation’s most important compound. It increases the production rate of superoxide dismutase (a major antioxidant), promotes vasodilation and prevents too much calcium from being released into ear cells following acoustic trauma.
A two-month double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial has demonstrated the benefits of a daily 170mg dose of magnesium for reducing damage to the auditory system in soldiers exposed to high levels of noise.
A superior Ginkgo biloba extract (standardised to 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones)
Ginkgo biloba acts in two ways against hearing problems.
The flavonoids it contains, grouped under the name ginkgo flavonglycosides, work primarily on all aspects of the circulatory system (13). Once absorbed by the body, they help relax capillary resistance, increase blood flow to the inner ear, and combat platelet activating factor which promotes blood viscosity and inflammation of blood vessels (14-15). They also act as ‘flak-jackets’ against the oxidants that cause our hearing to deteriorate, and improve blood flow (16-17). For their part, terpene lactones (particularly bilobalides) help to consolidate the neural circuits involved in hearing. They help increase mitochondrial energy production in neurons and prevent oxidative elements from escaping.
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial (18), ginkgo biloba supplementation (240mg a day) helped subjects with partial hearing loss to recover auditory capability.
Alpha-lipoic acid, N-acetylcysteine and glutathione
The body produces an extremely efficient antioxidant for protecting against free radical-induced damage to the ear called glutathione. Unfortunately, however, production of this antioxidant is reduced by a number of pathological and environmental factors (oxidative stress, diabetes, cataracts, atherosclerosis, pollution, smoking …).
Glutathione has low bioavailability when taken orally, which is why SuperSmart has added two compounds that help the body produce more of it: alpha-lipoic acid and N-acetylcysteine.
Vinpocetine, quercetin and acetyl-L-carnitine
Vinpocetine is a derivative of vincamine, a natural compound found in the leaves of the lesser periwinkle as well as in the seeds of certain African plants. It is used to treat memory loss but can also be helpful for sudden hearing loss. It acts in the same way as quercetin, by increasing blood flow in the brain (19).
In its acetylated form, carnitine helps improve nerve deterioration (20) [this property is also used to combat Alzheimer’s disease (21)].
Vitamins D, E, B9 and B12
These four vitamins are increasingly rare in modern Western diets, yet they are essential for good hearing and for preserving the integrity of the auditory system. They are also involved in a great many physiological processes, especially in the brain. Deficiency in vitamin D (which is very common during winter) can result in cochlear dysfunction in particular.
5 good reasons to take Hear Loss Formula for preventing hearing problems
- It’s estimated that 70% of people will experience significant hearing loss
- Fluid circulating in the inner ear constantly sweeps away medicines designed to combat dysfunction. It’s therefore difficult to tackle hearing problems other than through nutrition.
- Hearing loss is a serious handicap to those affected: it impairs interaction with those around you, and leads to gradual exclusion, loss of self-esteem and confidence, depression, increasing communication problems …
- The longer you wait to act, the more your neural circuits become unaccustomed to complex noises and the worse the hearing loss gets. It’s a vicious circle.
- A recent study has demonstrated a link between age-related hearing loss and cognitive decline. Hearing problems may precipitate the development of a number of cognitive problems.
How can you maximise the efficacy of Hear Loss Formula?
If you’re looking to make this formulation even more effective, you can take these additional measures:-
1) Eat a healthier diet throughout the supplementation period.
2) Substantially increase your level of physical activity. The resulting metabolic changes will optimise brain function including that of the auditory system. To obtain these benefits, you need to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week.
3) Avoid high noise levels as much as possible and fully engage in social interaction.
Written: October 2018
Note: this product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the guidelines on how to take it and the recommended dose, and to use it by the ‘best before’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place
- Smoking, Smoking Cessation, and the Risk of Hearing Loss: Japan Epidemiology Collaboration on Occupational Health Study. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 2018; DOI: 10.1093/ntr/nty026
- Evans P, Halliwell B. Free radicals and hearing: cause, consequence, and criteria. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1999;884:19–40
- Le Prell CG, Yamashita D, Minami SB, Yamasoba T, Miller JM. Mechanisms of noise-induced hearing loss indicate multiple methods of prevention. Hear Res 2007;226:22–43.
- Seidman MD. Effects of dietary restriction and antioxidants on Presbyacusis. Laryngoscope2000;110:727–38.
- Darrat I, Ahmad N, Seidman K, Seidman MD. Auditory research involving antioxidants. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007;15:358–63.
- Seidman MD. Effects of dietary restriction and antioxidants on Presbyacusis. Laryngoscope2000;110:727–38.
- Choi YH, Miller JM et al. Antioxidant vitamins and magnesium and the risk of hearing loss in the US general population, Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jan; 99(1): 148–155.
- Biesalski HK. Vitamin A and the ear. Review of the literature. Z Ernahrungswiss 1984;23:104–12.
- McFadden SL, Woo JM, Michalak N, Ding D. Dietary vitamin C supplementation reduces noise-induced hearing loss in guinea pigs. Hear Res 2005;202:200–8
- Heman-Ackah SE, Juhn SK, Huang TC, Wiedmann TS. A combination antioxidant therapy prevents age-related hearing loss in C57BL/6 mice. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010;143:429–34.
- Hou F, Wang S, Zhai S, Hu Y, Yang W, He L. Effects of α-tocopherol on noise-induced hearing loss in guinea pigs. Hear Res 2003;179:1–8.
- Schafer FQ, Wang HP, Kelley EE, Cueno KL, Martin SM, Buettner GR. Comparing β-carotene, vitamin E and nitric oxide as membrane antioxidants. Biol Chem 2002;383:671–81.
- Hertog MG, Feskens EJ, Kromhout D. Antioxidant flavonols and coronary heart disease risk. Lancet. 1997;349(9053):699.
- Tzeng SH, Ko WC, Ko FN, et al. Inhibition of platelet aggregation by some flavonoids. Thromb Res 1991; 64(1): 91-100.
- Smith PF, Maclennan K, Darlington CL. The neuroprotective properties of the Ginkgo biloba leaf: a review of the possible relationship to platelet-activating factor (PAF). J Ethnopharmacol. 1996;50(3):131–9.
- Tsai TN, Lin WS, Wu CH, et al. Activation of Kruppel-like factor 2 with Ginkgo biloba extract induces eNOS expression and increases no production in cultured human umbilical endothelial cells. Acta Cardiol Sin 2014; 30(3): 215-22.
- Kubota Y, Tanaka N, Umegaki K, et al. Ginkgo biloba extractinduced relaxation of rat aorta is associated with increase in endothelial intracellular calcium level. Life Sci 2001; 69(20): 2327-36.
- Burschka MA, Hassan HA, Reineke T, et al. Effect of treatment with Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 (oral) on unilateral idiopathic sudden hearing loss in a prospective randomized double-blind study of 106 outpatients. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2001;258:213–219.
- Miyazaki M. The effect of a cerebral vasodilator, vinpocetine, on cerebral vascular resistance evaluated by the Doppler ultrasonic technique in patients with cerebrovascular diseases. Angiology. 1995;46:53-58.
- Turpeinen AK, Kuikka JT, Vanninen E, et al. Long-term effect of acetyl-L-carnitine on myocardial 123I-MIBG uptake in patients with diabetes. Clin Auton Res. 2000;10:13-16.
- Montgomery SA, Thal LJ, Amrein R. Meta-analysis of double blind randomized controlled clinical trials of acetyl-L-carnitine versus placebo in the treatment of mild cognitive impairment and mild Alzheimer's disease. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2003;18:61-71
CompositionHear loss formula
|Daily dose: 2 capsules
Number of doses per pack: 30
|Amount per dose
| N-Acetyl cysteine
||100 mg *
| Ginkgo biloba standardised to 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones
| Vitamin D3
||2000IU RDA = 1000%
| Vitamin E
||400IU RDA = 2233%
|Other ingredients: acacia gum, white rice flour
*RDA not defined.
Directions for useHear loss formula
Adults. Take two vegetarian capsules a day.
At doses of more than 2000 IU a day, it is advisable to have a 25-hydroxy vitamin D test. If you suffer from kidney disease, do not take vitamin D3 without consulting your therapist. Do not exceed 10,000IU a day
, all sources combined, without professional advice. The same applies if you are taking anticoagulant drugs.