Panax notoginseng is a variety of the famous ginseng, regarded as a source of ‘vital energy’ and known for increasing strength and blood flow. Though they sound similar, notoginseng is distinct from classic ginseng. Its exceptional properties have led to the launch of a number of major nutritional supplements.
What is Notoginseng?
Notoginseng is part of the Araliaceae family native to China’s Guangxi and Yunnan provinces where it occupies a special place in traditional Chinese medicine: its benefits manifest primarily in the liver and stomach meridians. It is used for treating problems related to circulation, bleeding (internal and external haemorrhage), haematomas and coagulation problems (improving blood flow).
It often features in first aid kits for healing wounds: when applied as a poultice to the affected area, it can relieve pain and stem bleeding. It is also one of the ingredients in Zheng Gu Shui, a recognised preparation in the Chinese pharmacopoeia, used for improving the circulation, boosting energy, reducing inflammation, relieving pain, accelerating healing and helping to regenerate damaged tissue.
What are the properties of Notoginseng?
Historical use of notoginseng has provided empirical evidence of its virtues, but today, its effects can be explained scientifically. They are related to its high content in a specific fatty acid called trilinolein, and in particular, to its ginsenosides and notoginsenosides.
These are saponins unique to the ginseng species. There are several types: ginsenosides Rb1, Rg1, Rd, Re and Rb2. Research has yet to uncover all their secrets but they are thought to act in two ways: by altering cell membrane properties and by potentially binding to steroid hormone receptors.
Whichever is the case, scientists have already demonstrated their effects on the cardiovascular, immune and nervous systems (showing remarkable benefits for cognitive decline). Over the last few years, researchers have also observed anti-proliferative, neuroprotective and antioxidant properties.
When should you consider supplementing with ginseng?
While notoginseng has many benefits, some deserve special attention. Notoginseng can thus be effective in the following cases:
- Cardiovascular and circulatory problems involving blood stasis – the accumulation of blood as a result of obstruction to blood flow (such as in thrombosis, or a mechanical fault which prevents it from being pumped back in the veins);
- Coronary artery damage, history of myocardial infarction and associated consequences;
- Raised blood pressure and cholesterol levels;
- Retinitis or optic nerve atrophy;
- Palpitations, congestion and bronchial pain;
- Haemorrhagic, gastrointestinal, chest cavity, nasal, bladder and uterine problems. Notoginseng can also be combined to good effect with other plants such as ginger, rehmannia or astragalus root;
- trauma of various kinds, in terms of both pain and recovery.
What do studies say about Notoginseng?
Over the last 20 years, science has also focused on notoginseng’s anti-ischaemia, anti-infarction and lipid-lowering properties. These remarkable effects have given rise to a number of studies and pharmacological trials investigating different areas:
- Blood platelets: Ginsenoside 2A inhibits PAR (platelet aggregation rate) in hypertensive individuals.
- Haemostasis: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of four groups of rats measured different bleeding and coagulation times, after which some of the animals were given ginsenoside and saponin extracts. Treated rats displayed shorter bleeding times, an effect also noted with external application.
- The immune system: The polysaccharides in notoginseng have a stimulant effect on T lymphocytes, as shown in in vivo and in vitro studies. Other experiments have demonstrated that notoginseng promotes the production of antibodies and interleukins, which has led to their administration in the treatment of auto-immune diseases.
- The nervous system and cerebral cortex: A study on rats highlighted the positive effects of notoginseng’s saponins on pathological lesions affecting cholinergic neurons in Alzheimer’s disease. Treated rats were shown to have fewer such lesions than controls.
- Other benefits have been demonstrated for notoginseng, including protection for the liver against ethanol (alcohol). Administration of notoginseng improved levels of certain enzymes within cells: ALAT (alanine-aminotransferase, formerly known as SGPT for serum glutamopyruvate transferase), and ASAT (aspartate-aminotransferase, formerly known as SGOT for serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase). Levels of these enzymes increase when hepatocytes (liver cells) are destroyed and particularly in the case of viral hepatitis, alcohol poisoning, excess weight and ageing.
- Finally, scientists have observed analgesic properties for notoginseng with regard to inflammation and pain. This effect is consistent with the conclusions of another study in which daily supplementation with 1350mg for 30 days improved exercise performance in 29 subjects aged 20-35.
What dose is required to obtain the benefits of notoginseng?
Why choose a notoginseng concentrate over a conventional extract? There are three main reasons:
- Panax notoginseng is extremely bitter. It is therefore very hard to tolerate when taken like this internally.
- Fresh sources are rarely commercially available and their quality is often dubious.
- Ginsenosides have relatively poor bioavailability: to obtain maximum benefit, it is essential to take a ginseng supplement standardized in ginsenosides, such as is the case with this notoginseng extract. Offering unrivaled quality, it is also much more concentrated than the majority of commercially-available products, hence its higher cost.
This all shows the tremendous opportunity provided by this extract of Panax notoginseng to benefit from the effects of notoginsenosides. It is obtained from the root and leaf and contains 200mg of extract of Panax notoginseng. Chinese pharmacological studies have shown this dose to be sufficient for all the above-mentioned applications. In terms of its form, studies show that capsules (taken 2-3 times a day) are the most reliable, though it is also possible to use it topically in paste or powder form (to heal wounds).
In short, notoginseng is an invigorating supplement which, with its range of applications and multiple benefits, constitutes a vitally important product. It can be compared primarily with «», a supplement aimed at fighting hypertension and circulation problems, , mainly recommended for peripheral circulation problems such as numbness, and , the ‘king’ of the cardiac protectors.
CompositionNotoginseng 200 mg
|Daily dose: 2 capsules
Nombre de doses par boîte: 30
|Extract of Panax notoginseng standardised to 75% notoginsenosides, 5% ginsenosides R1, 30% ginsenosides Rb1, 30% ginsenosides Rg1, 6% ginsenosides Re, 4% ginsenosides Rd
| Other ingredients: acacia gum, rice flour.|
Directions for useNotoginseng 200 mg
adults. Take 2 capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 200 mg of Panax notoginseng extract.
This preventive formulation is aimed at anyone at risk of cardiovascular problems, whether as a result of certain diseases (diabetes, atherosclerosis, heart arrhythmia), an unhealthy lifestyle (poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking, abdominal fat, alcohol consumption, chronic stress) or simply the body's normal ageing process (decline in heart function, age-related changes to blood vessels, etc.). From the age of 40 onwards, there's a sharp increase in the risk of problems linked to the heart and circulation. Triple Protect has been developed to prevent these problems by acting on the following biological mechanisms:
- Arterial circulation;
- The cardiovascular system and hypertension-related processes;
The formulation's efficacy is due to the complementary and synergistic effects of its natural ingredients, all of which have demonstrated key benefits in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular problems.
Why take Triple Protect?
Homocysteine is a sulphur-containing amino acid which is produced via dietary protein. However, it is important to know that like conventional risk factors, an increase in circulating homocysteine levels is now considered a major determinant of cardiovascular disease and thrombosis. Pyridoxal-5-phosphate, an optimal form of vitamin B6, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and methylcobalamin, a form of vitamin B12 preferred to cyanocobalamin, are all recognised treatments for lowering homocysteine levels and thus reducing risk of cardiovascular disease, and all three have been added to Triple Protect.
Quercetin is undoubtedly the best-known of the flavonoids. This famous anti-ageing substance, which is largely responsible for the therapeutic effects of ginkgo and hypericum, lowers blood pressure in people with hypertension, reduces levels of ‘bad' LDL-cholesterol in overweight individuals and inhibits platelet aggregation, a mechanism involved in atherosclerosis. In just the last few years, it has also been associated with reducing the fragility of capillaries.
It is difficult to conceive of a more effective natural formulation than Triple Protect for protecting against diseases and symptoms related to circulation, coagulation and cardiovascular problems and their complications. Each of its ingredients has been included in its most active and absorbable form, based on the very latest scientific research. But it is undoubtedly the synergistic combination of all these elements that makes it a truly exceptional product.
In Western countries, cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death among women and the over-65s. In France, for example, it claims 150,000 lives each year, often suddenly and without warning. Yet prevention is not only possible, it is at the forefront of the latest scientific knowledge thanks to Triple Protect. Note: it is, however, advisable to consult your therapist before taking this product, especially if you have been prescribed blood pressure-lowering or anticoagulant drugs. In the absence of any such contraindication, beneficial effects are felt rapidly when used regularly three to six months, and this can be repeated depending on the results.
What are the ingredients in Triple Protect?
When we think about cardiovascular-protective supplements, magnesium springs to mind with its recognised and convergent effects. It helps to both prevent atherosclerosis (by reducing absorption of lipids in the gut during meals, as well as by increasing levels of ‘good' cholesterol) and lower blood pressure. With scientifically supported and recognised effects, an elevated daily intake of magnesium is indeed recommended by US medical authorities for preventing and treating hypertension. This is why SuperSmart has chosen the most actively-absorbed form (magnesium bisglycinate chelate) for its Triple Protect formulation.
Our formulation also contains R-alpha lipoic acid, which is converted in the body into dihydrolipoic acid. This powerful antioxidant can regenerate other endogenous antioxidants such as and C and glutathione, thus helping to prevent damage to blood vessels from oxidative stress. A number of studies have also shown that it increases insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetics who are at greater risk of cardiovascular problems.
Also included in Triple Protect is an extract of maritime pine bark standardised in proanthocyanidins or oligo-proanthocyanidins (OPC). This too is invaluable in preventing circulation-related problems. Studies show it has a slight effect in both lowering systolic blood pressure and increasing physical capacity, reduces several risk markers for cardiovascular disease such as inflammation, improves microcirculation, decreases the capillary permeability that contributes to oedema and relieves symptoms related to venous insufficiency.
A number of mechanisms are responsible for all these benefits: we know, for example, that proanthocyanidins increase the resistance of elastin in blood vessels to elastase, and recycle ascorbyl and tocopheryl radicals thus maintaining levels of vitamins C and E, and increases nitric oxide levels in vascular endothelial cells, producing a vasodilatory effect. To complete the formulation, SuperSmart has added four innovative ingredients, based on the latest scientific research:
- Vitamin K2, in its natural menaquinone K7 form, which apart from playing a role in blood coagulation, may help ‘clean' the coronary arteries by slowing down arterial calcification and reducing the loss of arterial elasticity, two mechanisms involved in atherosclerosis;
- Nattokinase, an enzyme produced by certain bacteria which is able to inactivate plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (or PAI-1), thus helping to dissolve blood clots and prevent the formation of thromboses. As such, it is a ‘mild' anticoagulant which must be borne in mind if you are taking anticoagulant drugs such as Previscan® or Eliquis. It therefore plays a supporting role to vitamin K2 in cardiovascular health and can be combined with a formulation designed to target blood clots called .
- Extract of pomegranate seeds also feature in this product. Currently the object of considerable scientific interest due to its high content in ellagic tannins, the pomegranate has a positive effect on prostate health as well as on cardiac muscle. However, in order to obtain these benefits, it is important to choose a high quality extract with a guaranteed content in ellagic acid and punicalagins, as is the case with Triple Protect. Drinking pomegranate juice only makes sense when it is pure, freshly-pressed, undiluted and unsweetened.
- Last but not least, Triple Protect features allicin, an organo-sulphur compound present at minimal concentrations in garlic extract which has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The many health virtues of garlic are undoubtedly due to its content in allicin which, when concentrated, increases production of the vasodilator nitric oxide, also available in . Allicin's ‘cardiovascular credentials' are also thought to include blood pressure-lowering properties.
|Daily dose: 3 capsules
Number of doses per pack: 30
|Vitamin B6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate)
||30 mg |
|Quatrefolic® acid (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (from 370mcg of 54-59% glucosamine salts and (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid)
||400 mcg |
|Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin)
||60 mcg |
|Vitamin K2 MK-7 (menaquinone-7)
||90 mcg |
||150 mg |
|Extract of garlic clove standardised to 3.4% allicin
||350 mg |
|Extract of pomegranate seed standardised to 40% ellagic acid
||150 mg |
||200 mg |
|NattoKinase 20,000 FU/g (2000 FU)
||100 mg |
|R-alpha lipoic acid
||70 mg |
|Extract of maritime pine bark standardised to 95% proanthocyanidins
||50 mg |
|Extract of Huperzia serrata standardised to 1% Huperzine-A
||15 mg |
|Other ingredients : Acacia gum, white rice bran.
Quatrefolic®, Gnosis, Italie.
Directions for useTriple Protect
adults. Take three capsules a day.
Consult your therapist first if you are taking anticoagulants.