CDP Choline 60 Caps, Nootropic Dietary Supplement - Dosage, Reviews
CDP-Choline is a dietary supplement containing citicoline (cytidine 5’-diphosphocholine), a proprietary form of choline with exceptional bioavailability. It is produced in Japan by the Kyowa Hakko Laboratory, which has a reputation for outstanding quality.
What is choline?
Choline is an essential natural nutrient, initially classified as a B vitamin: it is found in every cell in the body.
It is the precursor of one of the most ubiquitous phospholipids that promote cell membrane integrity: phosphatidylcholine. It is also a fundamental component of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter involved in normal nervous system function.
In most developed nations, average choline intake is for the most part too low (1). The minimum amount generally recommended is 425mg a day for women, and 550mg for men, though these levels can be adjusted upwards depending on the situation.
Who is the supplement CDP Choline aimed at?
CDP Choline can potentially help all adult population groups.
However, it may be of particular benefit to:
- those over 50;
- those suffering from fatigue or lack of energy;
- those subject to regular disturbances in mood;
- those at risk of cardiovascular problems.
5 good reasons to order the supplement CDP Choline
- CDP Choline has been clinically tested in humans (2-4) and found to be effective.
- It has been developed using a patented fermentation process.
- The brain accounts for only 2% of bodyweight but uses almost 20% of the body’s energy when at rest, which means we need to attend to its specific energy needs.
- Choline intake among most Western populations is far below that recommended.
- The fluidity of cell membranes, essential for healthy brain function, depends on our intake of phospholipids and omega-3 fatty acids.
Can we obtain choline from the diet?
Dietary sources of choline include eggs (250mg per 100g), liver (around 300mg per 100g), meat and fish (70-120mg per 100g), pulses, and nuts such as peanuts (30-40mg per 100g).
Each capsule of CDP Choline contains 250mg, providing 1000mg per daily dose.
What is phosphatidylcholine?
Phosphatidylcholine is a lipid from the class of phospholipids, major components of cell membranes.
Attached to a choline particle, this phospholipid helps to maintain cell membrane integrity by improving, in particular, its suppleness and flexibility. Abnormally rigid cell membranes slow down neurotransmission of information, and disrupt the development of neuron extensions, synapse formation, neuroplasticity, learning, neuron maturation and migration of neurons to target zones.
How to take CDP Choline?
For those over 40, the recommended dose is two to four capsules a day, for preventive purposes. Those whose state of health requires it, can take four to six capsules a day, under the supervision of their therapist.
Once ingested, the choline is absorbed in the small intestine, before being transported to the liver for distribution to all the body’s tissues, particularly those of the brain.
To maximise CDP Choline’s benefits, we suggest combining it with certain other supplements in our catalogue:
- Super Omega-3, a natural, and very stable supplement of omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA), which supports brain health (cognitive function) and heart health. The high EPA content of this supplement further boosts the suppleness of brain cell and other cell membranes.
- Bacopa monnieri, a nootropic extract of Bacopa monnieri leaf which supports central nervous system function.
- Ginkgo Biloba, a classic supplement for helping to maintain cognitive function.
Directions for use
Those over 40, take two to four capsules a day, to optimise performance or for preventive purposes.
Those whose state of health requires it, can take four to six capsules a day, under the supervision of their therapist.
Caution: do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not be used to replace a varied, balanced diet or healthy lifestyle. Keep out of young children’s reach. Store away from light, heat and humidity. As with all nutritional supplements, consult a health professional before taking if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or suffer from a health problem.