Optimag Supplement – Eight Forms of Magnesium to Fight Mg Deficiency
This new OptiMag formula combines eight forms of magnesium in vegetarian capsules, ensuring optimal use by cells and increased digestive tolerance, now available to buy at Supersmart.
What are the benefits associated with OptiMag?
Magnesium is essential for all living organisms. It is the fourth most important mineral in the body and is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions.
- Is necessary for muscles (muscle relaxation) and nerves to function properly.
- Regulates the heart rate.
- Supports the immune system.
- Ensures healthy bones.
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Promotes normal blood pressure.
- Participates in protein synthesis and energy metabolism by supporting the production of ATP, the body’s main energy molecule produced during the Krebs cycle.
- Plays a role in the synthesis and control of neurotransmitter activity, particularly dopamine and noradrenalin, by enabling the latter to be stored in nerve cells.
- Reduces stress by preventing increases in cortisol.
How does low magnesium affect the body?
Nutritional supplements contain magnesium in a number of forms, but they are not all optimally absorbed by the body and some of them can cause intestinal discomfort. It is estimated that over 75% of the population is failing to consume recommended amounts of magnesium, even without considering its over-use by the body as a result of stress. Low in magnesium, the refined foods of modern diets make it the most common micro-nutritional deficiency.
Added to that are various aggravating factors: age, daily over-exposure to noise, some drugs (diuretics) and diseases (diabetes, digestive or kidney diseases), and too high an intake of fatty foods and alcohol. Lastly, any kind of stress, be it acute or chronic, initiates a significant release of adrenalin which produces a more severe muscle contraction when magnesium is seriously deficient. This contraction is accompanied by a flushing of magnesium from muscle cells to the blood, resulting in its loss via the urine. Since magnesium deficiencies significantly increase vulnerability to stress, the result can be a veritable vicious circle.
Furthermore, it is very difficult to tell from a simple blood test whether an individual is or is not magnesium-deficient, since serum level reflects the amount of extracellular, rather than intracellular magnesium. Signs of deficiency include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, weakness, muscle tension, irritability, insomnia, headaches, dizziness, anxiety, emotional outbursts, feeling like you have a lump in the throat or stomach, and palpitations.
More severe deficiencies can lead to muscle spasms, contractions and cramps, and problems with mood and heart rate. In all cases, supplementation is vital, though it must be borne in mind that restoring normal levels of magnesium from a state of deficiency can take between six weeks and six months of supplementation.
What are the ingredients of OptiMag?
Overall, the eight forms of magnesium in OptiMag have the benefit of being non-irritating and tolerated by those with a sensitive stomach, unlike the hydroxide and oxide forms (such as marine magnesium), that have much more irritating and laxative effects over the long term.
This formulation contains magnesium aspartate and magnesium malate. However, since magnesium oxide, magnesium hydroxide and magnesium gluconate all have low bioavailability, they have been replaced by three new, more absorbable forms. This formulation is also higher in citrate and in particular in two highly bioavailable forms.
- Arginate, where the magnesium is combined with the amino acid L-arginine, recognised for its vasodilatory effects.
- Taurate, which facilitates the re-entry of magnesium into cells just as it is being flushed out, as a result of stress for example.
- Glycerophosphate, a ‘third-generation’ fat-soluble magnesium salt.
- Bisglycinate, a non-ionic form with perfect stability and no negative effects on intestinal walls.
Taking four capsules a day, in two doses with each main meal of the day, provides 100% of the recommended daily amount of magnesium, ie 400mg elemental magnesium.
Buy Optimag to fight magnesium deficiency.