No reviews for this product yet
Ginkgo biloba is an exceptional supplement formulated from one of the oldest species of tree on Earth. Now one of the world’s most widely used supplements, Ginkgo biloba boasts numerous scientifically supported benefits for the circulation and for cognitive function.
The supplement offered by SuperSmart differs from other such products in that it has a very high content of active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B et C, bilobalides). Unlike many average products on the market, this supplement is composed exclusively of natural ingredients (natural extract of Ginkgo biloba, rice flour and acacia fibre).
Who is Ginkgo Biloba aimed at?
A truly exceptional species, Ginkgo biloba can improve daily life for all sorts of people.
Nonetheless, it is especially recommended for those at higher risk of cognitive decline and circulation problems:
- those aged over 50, particularly women;
- those who suffer with circulation problems;
- those who are not very physically active;
- those with raised cholesterol levels;
- those who smoke;
- those with hypertension;
- those who are overweight;
- those with a parent, brother or sister affected by significant cognitive decline.
What are the benefits offered by Ginkgo biloba?
Therapeutic use of Ginkgo biloba among Asian populations dates back thousands of years: it is actually one of traditional Chinese medicine’s most important plants.
Substantiating the experiences of these forebears, more than 200 studies conducted over the course of the 20th century have confirmed the effects of ginkgo biloba on circulation and brain function (1).
A positive effect on circulation
There are many compounds responsible for this effect, the most important of which are without doubt the flavonoids. These antioxidants are recognised for acting at all levels of the circulatory system (2). Ginkgo biloba contains a large number of them such as kaempferol, quercetol and luteolin, grouped together under the name ginkgo flavonglycosides. Once ingested, they help:
- relax capillary resistance;
- increase blood flow to the brain;
- combat platelet activating factor which promotes blood viscosity and inflammation of blood vessels (3-4);
- act as ‘flak-jackets’ against oxidising agents circulating in the blood that damage blood vessels (5-6);
- improve the fat and carbohydrate metabolism implicated in inflammation of blood vessel walls (7);
- improve the circulation (8-9).
Benefits for cognitive decline
Research shows that Ginkgo biloba is able to optimise cognitive function while at the same time slowing down cerebral ageing. Its high content of terpene lactones (primarily bilobalides) means it is able to protect mitochondrial barriers from oxidising elements (10-11), which helps increase energy production (fewer ‘leaks’) (12-13). It also consolidates neural circuits which ensures the preservation of our memories and the optimisation of our cognitive faculties (14).
In addition to its effect on mitochondrial function, Ginkgo biloba extract also contributes to several physiological improvements in cognitive health:
- increased serotonin in synapses which boosts activity in the hippocampus, a memory-integrating structure in the brain;
- stronger expression of the genes that control synaptic growth in neurons (15);
- deactivation of NF-kB, a pro-inflammatory molecule implicated in neuro death.
- Two recent meta-analyses identified studies highlighting these effects on the brain and confirmed ginkgo’s efficacy for improving daily life and problems with cognitive function (difficulty concentrating, changes in memory, confusion, low cognitive efficiency...) (16).
5 good reasons to choose SuperSmart’s Ginkgo Biloba
- It’s an exceptionally high-quality product
with a high content in active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides
and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B and C, bilobalides).
- The excipients used are 100% natural (acacia and rice flour).
- Ginkgo biloba is an extremely hardy species: it has adapted to all the climate changes that have taken place over the last 150 million years or more, making it a genuine ‘living fossil’. In 1945, four ginkgo biloba trees survived the nuclear bomb at Hiroshima despite being located less than 3 kilometres from the impact. A feat which is testimony to their incredible resilience.
- The lifespan of the Ginkgo biloba is extraordinary: the oldest specimens are 4000 years old and 40 metres tall. This longevity is attributed to the remarkable combination of micronutrients found in the tree’s cells which enables it to resist disease, parasites, pollutants, heat, insects and even ageing itself.
- It’s one of the most clinically-tested natural substances for improving the circulation and optimising cognitive function.
How can you enhance the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba supplementation?
In order to deliver the benefits of Ginkgo biloba, our supplement is offered at a suggested dose of three capsules a day, to be taken with meals. While it can be adjusted in line with your needs and the advice of your therapist, this dose corresponds to the recommendations of Commission E (an independent scientific advisory board), the WHO and the IQWIG (an independent agency responsible for assessing the quality and efficiency of ingredients, amongst others). As ginkgo’s effects take a little while to be fully appreciated, it is advisable to continue supplementation for at least two to three months.
To enhance its efficacy, you can also adopt the following measures throughout the supplementation period:
- Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible and consider taking a multivitamin supplement. Restoring optimal nutritional status in antioxidant micronutrients is essential for combatting cognitive decline and circulation problems.
- Start taking exercise again, or if you’re already doing so, gradually increase its intensity. This will increase neurogenesis - the production of new neurons – and improve the volume of blood in the brain, resulting in improved cognitive performance. It will also promote compression of the muscles adjacent to veins, facilitating venous return.
- Ensure you drink more water than usual (to prevent dehydration) and do deep breathing exercises several times during the day.
An age-old witness to the history of the world and humankind, Ginkgo biloba has managed to withstand all the challenges it has faced over time because of its unique richness in micronutrients. SuperSmart has harnessed the best of this remarkable tree to produce a 100% natural supplement.
This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the guidelines on how to take it and the recommended dose, and to use it by the ‘best before’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place.
CompositionGinkgo Biloba 60 mg
|Daily serving: 3 capsules
Number of servings per bottle : 30
|Ginkgoflavonglycosides (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 24% ginkgoflavon-glycosides
||43.2 mg |
|Terpene lactones (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 6% terpene lactones)
||10.8 mg |
|Ginkgolide A (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 1.5% ginkgolide A)
||2.7 mg |
|Ginkgolide B (extracted from 180 mg of Ginkgo biloba standardised to contain 1.2% of ginkgolide B)
||2.16 mg |
| Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice bran. |
Each vegetarian capsule contains 60 mg of Ginkgo biloba extract.
Directions for useGinkgo Biloba 60 mg
Take 2 to 3 capsules a day during the meal.
Popular with our customers for its efficacy and value for money, Triple C combines three specific forms of vitamin C in a single capsule, that acts synergistically within the body: ascorbic acid, calcium ascorbate and ascorbyl palmitate.
What are the benefits associated with Triple C?
The importance of vitamin C to human health is widely recognized. Confirmed by numerous scientific studies, its properties are beneficial, if not essential, to several vital functions. Vitamin C is best-known for its key role in maintaining the immune system and improving the body's natural defences.
It is also recognised as a powerful natural antioxidant that helps combat oxidative stress, free radicals and cellular ageing. And vitamin C's benefits do not stop there. On the contrary, it is involved in a multitude of metabolic reactions, with the most active form, ascorbic acid, working at many levels within the body:
- Helps produce collagen, a protein providing mechanical resistance to stretching of the tissues;
- Is involved in the formation of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and noradrenaline;
- Helps produce carnitine which is central role to the transport and use of fatty acids by the mitochondria to produce energy;
- Participates in the synthesis of red blood cells;
- Encourages the absorption of plant-source iron;
- Protects cells from the ageing process, acting in synergy with , beta-carotene, le selenium, and zinc.
Why is Vitamin C supplementation important?
While everyday foods such as fruit and vegetables are rich in vitamin C, they may not provide sufficient levels to cover our daily requirements. Vitamin C is fragile and is easily destroyed by light and heat. Vitamin C supplements have therefore been developed as a way of obtaining an optimal intake. Often taken to safeguard against vitamin C deficiency, vitamin C supplements are also indicated for preventing and treating a number of ailments:
- Combatting oxidative stress;
- Improving iron absorption;
- Boosting the immune system;
- Fighting temporary tiredness;
- Preventing colds and flu;
- Lowering blood pressure and preventing hypertension;
- Reducing the risk of heart disease;
- Preventing both cognitive function decline and cataracts.
The majority of mammals are able to produce vitamin C themselves, but humans lost this ability a long time ago, which is why this vitamin is classified as essential – we need to ingest it from the diet. The recommended dose for this vitamin C supplement is one to two capsules a day.
|Daily serving: 6 capsules
Number of servings per bottle: 15
|Ascorbic acid (from 1,200 mg ascorbic acid, 1,800 mg of calcium ascorbate and 90 mg of ascorbic palmitate)
|Calcium (from 1 800 mg of calcium ascorbate)
|Other ingredients: rice flour.
Directions for useTriple C
Take one or two capsules per meal, according to your needs.