Dietary Supplement containing Trivalent Chromium (Cr3+)
Crominex 3+ is a dietary supplement containing chromium (trivalent), combined with patented extracts of shilajit and Phyllanthus emblica . These two completely natural extracts respectively help to improve the chromium’s bioavailability and protect it from oxidation. Together, the ingredients in this supplement help optimise blood sugar and cholesterol levels, which can be compromised by certain chronic conditions.
What role does chromium play in the body?
In its trivalent form (Cr3+), chromium is a natural trace-element which the body needs in order to function properly. The term ‘trace-element’ describes all the elements present in the human body at very low (milligram or microgram) levels, with no energy value, but which are nonetheless essential for growth: we need to obtain them from the diet.
Chromium is thought to have two main benefits:
- It helps normalise blood sugar and lipid levels. Chromium helps to maximise the action of insulin, via two distinct mechanisms – by inducing an increase in the number of insulin receptors and by improving the sensitivity of β cells (1).
- It supports optimal metabolism of macronutrients : proteins, sugars, and fats, all of them sources of energy.
Who is Crominex® 3+ aimed at?
Crominex® 3+ is primarily designed for the following groups of people (2):
- Those with elevated blood sugar levels .
- Those with hypercholesterolaemia .
- Those who eat too much processed food, including refined sugars and ready-meals. Such foods are low in chromium and promote urinary chromium loss.
- Sports enthusiasts. Intense, repetitive exercise encourages depletion and exhaustion of the body’s chromium reserves (3), intestinal absorption of chromium being generally too low to rapidly compensate for the amount lost via urine.
- Older people. Chromium status clearly declines with age (4) due to reduced appetite, changes in sense of taste, ageing of the gastrointestinal tract and lower retention of chromium in the body (5).
What is the recommended intake for chromium?
The US National Research Council recommends a minimum daily intake of between 50µg and 200µg a day.
Generally speaking, chromium intake from the diet is less than optimal in ‘normal’ individuals. As Western populations have become less physically active over many decades, daily calorie intake has decreased to 2500kcal/day, significantly reducing the likelihood of achieving an optimal chromium intake (6).
More than 40,000 assays have shown that chromium concentration in human tissues declines significantly with age.
The main dietary sources of chromium are:
- brewer’s yeast;
- egg yolk;
- aromatic herbs and spices;
- whole grains;
- dark chocolate;
- tea and coffee.
Can chromium supplements be toxic?
The scientific literature shows that it is only hexavalent chromium (Cr6+) that is toxic for humans.
However, as there are persistent doubts over long-term supplementation with organic forms of chromium (picolinate or nicotinate), absorption rates of which are much higher than those of salts (chloride or carbonate), Crominex 3+ has been developed using chromium chloride.
What makes Crominex 3+ an exceptional chromium supplement?
Absorption of chromium from dietary sources ranges from 0.5% to 2%: it can therefore be said to have a very low absorption coefficient. To slightly improve this rate, Supersmart has combined chromium chloride with an extract of shilajit , a natural exudate composed of humic substances (humus and paleohumus).
In addition to shilajit, vitamin C, fibre and nicotinic acid all promote chromium absorption. In contrast, rapidly-absorbed sugars, commonly-prescribed drugs, zinc supplements and excess protein all encourage urinary chromium loss and should therefore be avoided during the supplementation period.
As it is sensitive to oxidation, chromium also benefits from being combined with a potent antioxidant, in this case, a patented amla extract (Capros®).
Each vegetarian capsule contains 10mg of Crominex® 3+, which is 400µg of trivalent chromium.
Directions for use
Adults. Take one or two vegetarian capsules a day, preferably with meals, or as advised by your therapist.
Each vegetarian capsule contains 10mg of Crominex® 3+.
Caution: do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not be used to replace a varied, balanced diet or healthy lifestyle. Keep out of young children’s reach. Store away from light, heat and humidity. As with all nutritional supplements, consult a health professional before taking if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or suffer from a health problem.