Ester C® Dietary Supplement, Non-Acidic Vitamin C - Reviews, Dosage
Ester C is a vitamin C supplement designed to remain in the body for longer and to be suitable for those with sensitive stomachs. Offering exceptional bioavailability, it is undoubtedly the best form of vitamin C on the market, together with liposomal vitamin C.
What benefits does Ester C 600mg offer?
Vitamin C is one of the most widely-studied vitamins ever. It is involved in hundreds of physiological processes such as production of collagen, a protein essential for healthy skin and bones, the formation of red blood cells, and wound-healing.
Numerous scientific studies have shown that it helps to:
- maintain optimal function of the immune system (especially against the effects of intensive exercise or exposure to the cold);
- maintain optimal collagen formation for blood vessels, bones, teeth and skin.
- optimise nervous system and psychological function (with a particular role in the formation of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and noradrenaline);
- ensure cell protection against the oxidative stress that causes ageing;
- reduce fatigue ;
- increase the regeneration of reduced forms of vitamin E;
- increase the absorption of iron;
- maintain normal synthesis of carnitine, a molecule that plays a central role in the transport and use of fatty acids by mitochondria to produce energy.
Vitamin C is often recommended by health professionals for giving the body a boost, particularly in the case of temporary fatigue, stress or the change in seasons which can upset the metabolism. In this respect, it is sometimes referred to as the ‘antifatigue vitamin’ or ‘the energy vitamin’.
Four good reasons to choose Ester C 600mg
- Unlike other mammals, we humans lost the ability long ago to produce vitamin C, and we therefore have to rely on consuming sufficient fruits and vegetables to ensure an adequate intake. Unfortunately however, significant changes in our dietary habits have meant that such consumption has been in steady decline for several decades.
- As the body is unable to store vitamin C, we need to keep ingesting it to maintain satisfactory levels. Unless, that is, we take Ester C, a form of vitamin C which remains in the body for longer (3).
- In its standard form (ascorbic acid), vitamin C can cause stomach discomfort. Ester C has been developed precisely to prevent such side-effects by ensuring a neutral pH. A recent clinical trial showed that supplementing with Ester C caused far fewer stomach issues than the standard ascorbic acid supplements available in pharmacies. (1-2).
- Ester C does not contain sodium unlike sodium ascorbate, another form of vitamin C on the market.
What are the origins of Ester C?
Ester-C was discovered in the late 1980s by a scientist looking to produce a form of vitamin C that was gentler on the stomach.
Its creators achieved a ‘double whammy’ by enriching the formulation with tiny natural metabolites, helping to both maximise its bioavailability and increase its retention in the body (for up to 24 hours) (3).
It is now produced by The Ester C Company, and is guaranteed to be free from GMOs.
When and how should you take Ester C?
We recommend taking a daily dose of two 600mg capsules of Ester C, one with each of the two main meals of the day.
Are there any contraindications associated with taking vitamin C?
Long-term supplementation with high doses of vitamin C is not advised in the case of:
- renal insufficiency accompanied by problems metabolising vitamin C;
- intestinal surgery;
- G6PD deficiency.
Attention: aspirin, anti-inflammatories and oral contraceptives can all reduce vitamin C levels in the body.
Other vitamins of potential interest:
- First, an alternative, with Triple C, a combination of three synergistic forms of vitamin C;
- And then two vitamin B3 supplements Inositol Hexanicotinate (IHN) or Nicotinamide, potentially combined with PABA 600mg, a natural water-soluble cofactor of B group vitamins.
Updated : 30/02/2019
This product should not be used to replace a varied, balanced diet or healthy lifestyle. Follow the advice on use, the recommended daily dose and the use-by date. Not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of young children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place.