Orthosilicic acid supplement stabilised by choline
Orthosilicic Acid 5mg is a high-quality liquid supplement containing silicon (orthosilicic acid) combined with other synergistic nutrients: choline, carnitine, MSM, four minerals, etc. The ingredients in this supplement have been chosen for their ability to support the health of the skin, nails, hair, bones and connective tissue (1-3).
The formulation is therefore included in our bone, muscle and joint health category.
What exactly is organic silicon? And orthosilicic acid?
The chemical element silicon has the atomic number14 in the periodic table. The most abundant element in the Earth’s crust after oxygen, it exists in various forms in sand, quartz, feldspars... It’s also an important trace-element for the body, where it is present in the form of organic silicon. It is involved in the formation of bones, skin, ligaments, cartilage, hair and nails, and plays a role in immune health, etc. (4).
We ingest small amounts of silicon when we drink mineral water and eat certain plant-source foods(cereals, grains, beer...)
Stabilised orthosilicic acid is a high-quality liquid form of silicon. Produced using a specific, proprietary process, it is different from the low-bioavailability, low-absorption silicon found in standard supplements. Stabilised orthosilicic acid is the best known form of organic silicon for the body (5).
Composition: what does this orthosilicic acid supplement contain?
The supplement Orthosilicic Acid 5mg is a combination of:
- silicon (in the form of orthosilicic acid);
- choline (in the form of choline chloride);
- zinc (in the form of zinc chloride);
- boron (in the form of boric acid);
- manganese (in the form of manganese citrate);
- selenium (in the form of sodium selenite);
- vitamin B12 (in the form of methylcobalamin);
- L-carnitine (in the form of L-carnitine hydrochloride);
- and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
It is completed by the addition of distilled water, calcium chloride and magnesium citrate.
What benefits does the silicon supplement Orthosilicic Acid 5mg offer?
Health and enhancement of the skin, hair and nails
To start with, several of the ingredients in Orthosilicic Acid 5mg support the health and appearance of the skin, hair and nails.
The silicon helps to reduce wrinkles and hydrate the skin. It acts, in particular, by encouraging production of collagen and elastin. One study on women aged 40-65 showed that supplementing with orthosilicic acid reduced fine lines and wrinkles, and improved skin elasticity (6). By stimulating production of keratin, silicon also helps to combat hair loss, and make hair shinier and nails stronger (7).
On the mineral side, zinc helps to maintain healthy skin, hair and nails and is involved in the process of cell renewal(8). And selenium too, is good for the hairand nails (9).
Protective effect on bones and connective tissue
With its ability to support calcium deposition in bones, silicon is an important ingredient for bone and connective tissue. Silicon supplementation reduces the number of osteoclasts, the cells responsible for bone resorption, and increases that of osteoblasts, those responsible for bone formation. It therefore significantly helps to reduce bone demineralisation and combat osteoporosis. It also helps bone fractures to heal faster (10). Deliver
ing 5mg of elemental silicon per daily dose, this supplement makes it possible to substantially increase your intake of silicon.
In terms of bone health, zinc is again of benefit, in this case, helping to maintain healthy bones (11). Manganese also supports bone health, and is involved in normal formation of connective tissue(12).
Additional benefits of Orthosilicic Acid 5mg
This organic silicon supplement offers several other benefits for health. It supports:
- normal immune system function, via the zinc, selenium and vitamin B12 (13);
- protection of cells from oxidative stress, via the manganese and selenium (14);
- normal nervous system function and blood cell formation, via the vitamin B12 (15);
- detoxification via the silicon which also helps to reduce accumulation of aluminium in the body (16).
In addition, this formulation is notable for the presence of:
- L-carnitine, an amino acid that supports energy production by mitochondria (17);
- MSM, which helps to relieve joint pain, in synergy with silicon, also good for maintaining joint flexibility. Silicon is involved, for example, in synthesising glycosaminoglycans (GAG) present in cartilage (18-19).
What natural ways are there of supporting your skin and bone health?
With the passing years, the skin develops wrinkles and starts to sag, the hair becomes thinner and may fall out, the nails get weaker, and the bones become porous, unstable and brittle... What can we do to slow down this relentless decline?
Adopt these simple measures to help keep your body at its best:
- cleanse and exfoliate your face thoroughly, moisturise daily with a natural cream, protect your skin from the sun and try to get around 8 hours sleep a night;
- for your hair, don’t over-shampoo it, nourish it with a plant oil once a week and avoid using hairdryers and straighteners (the heat damages the hair’s protective sheath);
- you can also moisturise your nails and avoid cutting or removing the cuticles;
- to take care of your bones, eat dairy products and drink mineral water (rich in calcium), consume less salt and coffee, cut down or stop smoking, and take regular exercise to help strengthen your bone matrix.
Another strength of this liquid orthosilicic acid supplement
Standard silicon supplements generally have low or even no bioavailability. But Orthosilicic Acid 5mg contains an ingredient that sets it apart : choline, another of the supplement’s strong points.
This organic compound and essential nutrient is used here as a stabiliser. It prevents the polymerisation of the orthosilicic acid into polysilicic acids and then silica gel, which can make the silicon less absorbable. It therefore increases the bioavailability of the organic silicon and improves the supplement’s efficacy in general (20).
Two supplements to take alongside Orthosilicic Acid 5mg
If you want to go further in enhancing the health and beauty of your skin, hair and nails, then combine supplementation with Orthosilicic Acid 5mg with the formulation Daily Beauty. Doubly-encapsulated, these capsules contain all the best pro-beauty compounds: collagen peptides, vitamin B3 and biotin for the skin, solubilised keratin for the hair and nails... (21-22) It’s a genuine all-in-one beauty formula.
If you also want tostrengthen your bones, then alongside our choline-stabilised orthosilicic acid, supplement with vitamin K, which helps maintain healthy bones. The gold-standard product Complete K combines the 3 best forms of vitamin K (phytonadione, menaquinone 4 et menaquinone 7) for maintaining strong and sturdy bones (23).