Joints Pack | Supersmart Supplement Packs
The Joints Pack contains the supplements Bone Morphogenetic Proteins, Chondroitin Sulfate 95% and OptiMSM®.
By combining the three supplements of the Joint Pack, each individual benefit is enhanced in order to improve overall joint health, as well as promoting comfort and reducing pain.
What are the benefits associated with the Joints Pack?
Each of the Joint Pack supplements promote the regeneration of the osteo-articular system:
Bone Morphogenetic Proteins
Bone morphogenetic proteins is formulated from a patented protein-collagen complex called Cyplexinol. This supplement associate’s proteins and stem cells, in order to regenerate the osteoarticular system, particularly the regeneration of bones and cartilage.
Chondroitin Sulfate 95%
Chondroitin is an essential component of cartilage. This supplement plays a crucial role in building and maintaining cartilage tissue (bones, skin, cornea and arterial membranes), making sure that cartilage retains water, as well as maintaining its elasticity and strength.
Methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM), also called dimethyl-sulfone, is a rich, stable and natural source of organic sulfur. Sulfur is found in particularly high concentrations in the joints where it helps in the production of chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine and hyaluronic acid. It plays a critical role in maintaining the stability and integrity of connective tissue and proteins.
Who are these products aimed at?
These supplements can be used by people who wish to:
- Reduce inflammation in the osteoarticular system;
- Protect and regenerate joint cartilage;
- Reduce age-related joint pain;
- Prevent the development of bone or joint diseases.
Find out more
Want to know more about the products in Joints Pack?
Read the complete description of Bone Morphogenetic Proteins , Chondroitin Sulfate 95% and OptiMSM®
As we grow older, bone and joint diseases become more frequent and there are fewer effective weapons with which to combat them. However, the discovery of bone morphogenetic proteins (BMP), which are naturally present in bones, represents a major advance.
What is the Bone Morphogenetic Proteins supplement?
Our product is based on Bone Morphogenetic Proteins (BMO) which have been the subject of numerous studies since they were first discovered in the middle of the last century by orthopaedic surgeon, Marshall Urist. His major discovery revealed that bone morphogenetic proteins induce regeneration of bone structure and cartilage. This involves an association between these proteins and specific stem cells, a type of cell widely studied for their therapeutic properties. Indeed, stem cells may offer treatment solutions for a number of diseases. The therapeutic applications of stem cells come from their self-renewal properties and capacity for cell differentiation. In other words, stem cells are undifferentiated cells which are infinitely able to self-renew and give rise to different types of specialised cells. They could thus be used to regenerate damaged organs and tissue.
Paving the way for a number of therapeutic possibilities, the research findings on bone morphogenetic proteins and stem cells were published in the prestigious journal Science, under the title ‘Bone: formation by autoinduction’, a term which underlines the importance of this mechanism for bone regeneration. Indeed, the association of bone morphogenetic proteins and particular stem cells is responsible for the regeneration of the osteoarticular system – the regeneration of bones and cartilage. More specifically, the mechanism involves the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells into osteoblasts, cells which promote bone formation, and chondrocytes, cells which enable the formation of new cartilage.
What are the benefits associated with Bone Morphogenetic supplement?
Based on the many studies into bone morphogenetic proteins, our dietary supplement is formulated from a patented protein-collagen complex called Cyplexinol. Developed in 2007, this complex contains natural bone morphogenetic proteins as well as other compounds that promote bone and cartilage regeneration. These include type II collagen and key growth factors such as TGF-Beta (transforming growth factor beta). Acting in synergy, the various compounds in Cyplexinol stimulate the regeneration of the osteoarticular system.
With their key role in the regeneration of bone and cartilage, bone morphogenetic proteins offer significant benefits for reducing age-related joint pain as well as for preventing the development of certain bone or joint diseases. That is why a number of scientific studies are currently investigating the therapeutic properties of bone morphogenetic proteins and the use of the protein-collagen complex Cyplexinol. Some researchers are focusing on its potential for preventing arthritis, by helping to combat incapacitating pain in the back, knees and hips, while others are examining its possible use in treating osteoporosis.
While the full potential of bone morphogenetic proteins has yet to be revealed, we already know they offer considerable benefits for improving joint comfort and combatting joint pain. In order to fully deliver these benefits, our dietary supplement contains a significant amount of bone morphogenetic proteins, as provided by the patented complex Cyplexinol. With 150mg of Cyplexinol per capsule, the suggested dose for our supplement is 1-2 capsules a day for adults. This dose can be adjusted in line with your needs and the advice of your therapist. The effects of our supplement Bone Morphogenetic Proteins can also be enhanced by other nutrients such as glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, vitamin D3, magnesium or certain calcium salts.
CompositionBone Morphogenetic Proteins
|Daily dose : 2 capsules
Number of doses per pack : 15
|Amount per dose
|Cyplexinol® [partialy hydrolyzed collagen complex with associated proteins including Bone Morphogenetic Proteins (BMPs)]
| Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice flour.
Cyplexinol®, ZyCal Bioceuticals, Inc., USA.
Directions for useBone Morphogenetic Proteins
Adults. Take one to two capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 150 mg Cyplexinol®.
Naturally produced by the body, chondroitin is an essential component of cartilage. It is also found in the bones, skin, cornea and arterial membranes. It plays a crucial role in building and maintaining cartilage tissue, ensuring that cartilage retains water, as well as its elasticity and strength, and that the joints remain supple.
How does chondroitin work?
While its mechanism of action is not yet fully understood, we do know it promotes the reconstruction of cartilage by partly inhibiting hyaluronidase, the enzyme responsible for its destruction. It’s also thought to inhibit osteoclasts, key cells involved in the loss of bone substance, as well as to play an active part in the inflammatory process and to increase synthesis of proteoglycans and hyaluronic acid, the gel which lubricates the joints.
Chondroitin supplementation: what are the desired effects?
Over the last few decades, chondroitin has been the subject of several studies and meta-analyses which have confirmed its efficacy not only for relieving symptoms of joint problems (particularly those of arthritis1) but also for helping to slow down their development2. These are significant conclusions as joint problems are often seen as both inevitable and untreatable. However, while there’s still no 100% effective treatment, there are number of ways of obtaining relief. The simple act of not giving up, continuing with your daily activities despite the pain, not giving in to negativity, already constitutes an effective form of treatment. Other natural solutions such as chondroitin, along with Arnica gel and Boswellia extract (available from Supersmart as ), are very helpful in improving mobility and perception of pain.
Chondroitin is a molecule which also offers preventive benefits. Today, those of us who live in affluent countries have a worryingly high risk of developing arthritis – 25% for arthritis of the hip1 and 45% for arthritis of the knee2. Most people are largely unaware of the preventive options available, including chondroitin, particularly relevant for those with a genetic predisposition. Since such individuals carry genetic abnormalities which increase their likelihood of developing the disease (including mutations connected with collagen composition), they need to be especially careful about lifestyle factors (excess weight, physical inactivity, poor diet and stress) in order to maximise their chances of avoiding the disease.
Is chondroitin well-absorbed?
We raise this point because chondroitin is a very large molecule. While products with a low molecular weight (of less than 16,000 daltons) can be absorbed completely, absorption of the largest molecules may be between just 8% and 18%3. This rate of absorption is still sufficient, however, to ensure that the chondroitin delivers clinical benefits for joint health. Be aware though that tests have shown some supplements to contain very little chondroitin due to its high cost. This is not the case with Chondroitin Sulfate 95% (400 mg) which remains unquestionably the best product on the market, as a result of its marine origin raw material, its pharmaceutical quality and its active principle concentration evaluated at 95%.
The recommended dose is 3 vegetarian capsules a day, preferably taken with food, which is equivalent to a daily dose of 1200mg.
- Chondroitin sulphate for symptomatic osteoarthritis: critical appraisal of meta-analyses. Monfort J, Martel-Pelletier J, Pelletier JP. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 May;24(5):1303-8. Review.
- Hochberg MC. Structure-modifying effects of chondroitin sulfate in knee osteoarthritis: an updated meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials of 2-year duration. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010 Jun;18 Suppl 1:S28-31. Review.
- Conte A, de Bernardi M, Palmieri L, et al. Metabolic fate of exogenous chondroitin sulfate in man. Arzneimittelforschung 1991; 41:768-72.
CompositionChondroitin Sulfate 95% 400 mg
|Daily serving: 3 capsules
Number of servings per bottle: 30
|Chondroitin sulfate (of marine origin)
||1 200 mg
| Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice flour. |
Each capsule contains 400 mg of Chondroitin sulfate.
Directions for useChondroitin Sulfate 95% 400 mg
Adults. Take three vegetarian capsules per day (one with each meal).
Warning: Do not take if you have an allergy to shellfish.
Methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM), also called dimethyl-sulfone, is a rich, stable and natural source of organic sulfur. Although sulfur is found naturally in certain fresh fruits and vegetables, it is destroyed by cooking, processing and storing. Studies clearly demonstrate that MSM levels in the body decrease significantly with age. Supplementation is therefore an attractive option, particularly as it is inexpensive and free from toxicity.
We are now using OptiMSM® a purer, more active form of MSM that is non-toxic, and above all, hypoallergenic. In fact, OptiMSM® is completely free of heavy metal residues, impurities and contaminants, due to a four-stage distillation process, which only uses heat rather than powerful solvents. Every batch is tested to ensure the absence of potential allergens. Thus, OptiMSM® is certified Kosher, Halal, vegetarian and guaranteed gluten- and GMO-free. It has been awarded GRAS status (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the FDA and conforms to the highest standards of pharmaceutical microbiology.
What do studies show about Methyl-sulfonyl-methane?
- Sulfur is found in particularly high concentrations in the joints where it helps in the production of chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine and hyaluronic acid. It plays a critical role in maintaining the stability and integrity of connective tissue and proteins.
- Several studies have shown benefits from MSM supplementation as a ‘natural lubricant, in promoting joint comfort and easing pain associated with osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. A study conducted in 1995 revealed that sulfur concentration in arthritic cartilage was only a third of that in normal cartilage. In another, double-blind, study, 60% of arthritis sufferers treated with 2.25mg MSM a day reported an improvement after four weeks supplementation, and 82% after six weeks'. Other benefits were seen in chronic joint pain, muscular pain, tendonitis and bursitis, intestinal irritation and scleroderma.
- Researchers from the University of California at San Diego investigated the effect of MSM on healthy and arthritic articular cartilage from post-mortem human knees. They specifically looked at the effect of MSM on cytokines, which are markers of inflammation related to cartilage degradation. They found that MSM reduced the expression of these pro-inflammatory cytokines as well as expression of cartilage-degrading enzymes. The researchers suggest that MSM may act as a barrier, protecting cartilage in early stages of osteoarthritis against further degeneration from inflammatory cytokines and cartilage-degrading enzymes.
- MSM is also essential for many enzymatic and hormonal reactions as well as for maintaining a healthy immune system. When the body's MSM levels are adequate, it seems to be concentrated around the mucus membranes where it creates a protective shield which reduces the effects of allergens and external contaminants. Studies also show a beneficial effect from MSM in asthma and allergies. According to Earl Mindell, Ph.D, MSM increases cell permeability and enables the body to eliminate toxins and free radicals more easily.
- Once ingested, MSM gives its sulfur element to the amino acids methionine and cysteine and is incorporated into the keratin (structure) of the hair and nails. In addition, MSM is necessary for the production of collagen (the main component of connective tissue). Regular MSM supplementation thus improves the health and appearance of the hair and nails: hair is longer and shinier, nails are stronger. Wound-healing is also accelerated by MSM supplementation, particularly when combined with vitamin C.
- According to a study in animals, MSM supplementation helps support liver metabolism by increasing levels of L-glutathione, a sulfur antioxidant involved in hepatic detoxification.
|Daily dose : 2 teaspoons
Number of doses per pack : 25
|Amount per dose
|| 8 g
OptiMSM®, Bergstrom Nutrition®, USA.
Directions for useOptiMSM®
Adults. For maximum efficacy, take between 2 and 8g/day OptiMSM® powder diluted in a glass of water or fruit juice (between half and two teaspoons a day).