Diosmin Plus is a flavonoid supplement standardised to 80% diosmin, a natural compound with powerful venotonic properties. It is designed to naturally reduce symptoms of venous insufficiency and improve circulation throughout the body.
Its enhanced bioavailability (the diosmin is 4-10 times better absorbed than standard supplements) makes it, along with the famous VeinoMax, one of the best natural venotonics available.
Who is Diosmin Plus aimed at?
Diosmin Plus is for all those affected by any of the following:
- Venous insufficiency and circulation problems. This condition is characterised by a defect in the nervous system, specifically in the veins’ valves which enable blood to be transported back up the legs. The consequent pooling of blood produces unpleasant symptoms such as pain and a feeling of heavy, swollen legs. It subsequently leads to the formation of varicosities, varicose veins and sometimes even varicose ulcers and eczema. A number of clinical trials have confirmed the efficacy of bioflavonoids, particularly diosmin, for reducing symptoms of venous insufficiency and improving the circulation (1).
- ‘Economy class’ syndrome. Those who spend too long confined in a sitting position often develop abnormal swelling in the legs and microangiopathy. This can be prevented or reduced by taking a diosmin supplement.
- Haemorrhoids. Several clinical trials have shown that diosmin can reduce the pain and bleeding of haemorrhoids (2).
What is in Diosmin Plus?
Diosmin Plus primarily contains diosmin, a flavonoid pigment found in certain citrus fruits (3-4) and plant species of the rutaceae family.
It’s an active compound that has been used therapeutically for more than 40 years to treat chronic venous insufficiency and is recognised for its venotonic and vasotonic properties. It’s associated with strengthening blood vessel walls, increasing venous tone and normalising capillary permeability.
What makes Diosmin Plus such an exceptional venotonic?
Once ingested, it is rapidly converted into diosmetin by enzymes in the gut microflora. The diosmetin is then absorbed across the intestinal wall to be converted in the bloodstream into its more active metabolite: 3, 7-O-diglucuronide (5-6).
Unfortunately, most flavonoids – and diosmin is no exception – are not very soluble, which significantly reduces their absorption through the gastrointestinal wall (7).
To rectify this problem, Supersmart has employed three innovative, high-tech processes:
- Micronisation, ie, reducing the particle size of the active principle. This increases its rate of dissolution and that of the contact surface with the intestinal epithelium.
- The use of a buffer system which increases the conversion of diosmin into diosmetin in the gastrointestinal cavity.
- Granulation, a clustering process which promotes its circulation in blood vessels.
This approach produces a diosmin supplement which is much more absorbable than standard micronised supplements. Two studies have demonstrated that Diosmin Plus is 4-10 times more bioavailable compared with conventional micronised diosmin supplements (8-9).
How should Diosmin Plus be taken?
The most common dose for diosmin is 300mg-900mg, ie 1-3 capsules a day.
It is sometimes combined with hesperidin for treating vein problems or relieving heavy leg syndrome during and post-menopause.
Diosmin is extremely well tolerated and safe to use.
Written : Avril 2019.
- Gohel MS, Davies AH. Pharmacological treatment in patients with C4, C5 and C6 venous disease. Phlebology. 2010 Oct;25 Suppl 1:35-41.
- Annoni F, Boccasanta P, et al. [Treatment of acute symptoms of hemorrhoid disease with high-dose oral O-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-rutosides]. Minerva Med 1986;77(37):1663-1668.
- Marín, F.R.; Del Río, J.A. Selection of hybrids and edible citrus species with a high content in the diosmin
- functional compound. Modulating effect of plant growth regulators on contents. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2001,
- 49, 3356–3362
- Caristi, C.; Bellocco, E.; Panzera, V.; Toscano, G.; Vadalà, R.; Leuzzi, U. Flavonoids detection by HPLC-DAD-MS-MS in lemon juices from Sicilian cultivars. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2003, 51, 3528–3534.
- Patel, K.; Gadewar, M.; Tahilyani, V.; Patel, D.K. A review on pharmacological and analytical aspects of diosmetin: A concise report. Chin. J. Integr. Med. 2013, 19, 792–800.
- Silvestro, L.; Tarcomnicu, I.; Dulea, C.; Attili, N.R.; Ciuca, V.; Peru, D.; Rizea Savu, S. Confirmation of diosmetin 3-O-glucuronide as major metabolite of diosmin in humans, using micro-liquid-chromatography-mass spectrometry and ion mobility mass spectrometry. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2013, 405, 8295–8310
- Garner, R.C.; Garner, J.V.; Gregory, S.; Whattam, M.; Calam, A.; Leong, D. Comparison of the absorption of micronized (Daflon 500 mg) and nonmicronized 14C-diosmin tablets after oral administration to healthy volunteers by accelerator mass spectrometry and liquid scintillation counting. J. Pharm. Sci. 2002, 91, 32–40
- Russo R, Mancinelli A, Ciccone M, Terruzzi F, Pisano C, Severino L. Pharmacokinetic Profile of µSMIN Plus™, a new Micronized Diosmin Formulation, after Oral Administration in Rats. Nat Prod Commun. 2015 Sep;10(9):1569-72.
- Russo, R., Chandradhara, D., & De Tommasi, N. (2018). Comparative Bioavailability of Two Diosmin Formulations after Oral Administration to Healthy Volunteers. Molecules, 23(9), 2174. doi:10.3390/molecules23092174
|Daily dose: 3 capsules
Number of doses per pack: 30
|Amount per dose
| µSMIN® Plus (Flavonoid complex standardised to 90% total flavonoids and 80% diosmin)
| White rice bran, acacia gum. |
µSMIN® Plus, GIELLEPI S.P.A., Italy.
Directions for useDiosmin Plus
Adults. Take 3 capsules a day. Each capsule contains 300 mg of µSMIN® Plus.
The plant extracts in VeinoMax are rich in active principles known to strengthen capillary walls and which act synergistically to improve vein health.
¤ Experimental and clinical studies have shown that troxerutin
, a flavonoid, helps relieve heavy, painful, swollen legs and night cramps ; troxerutin reduces the severity of swollen ankles resulting from long-haul flights.
¤ Diosmin and hesperidin
strengthen vein tone and elasticity, thus reducing the risk of varicose veins and haemorrhoids. Studies have shown that they have a beneficial effect on symptoms of venous insufficiency and on ulcers, when combined with conventional treatments such as support stockings.
¤ Horse chestnut extract
strengthens vein tone, reduces the number and diameter of the small pores of capillary membranes, thus reducing the escape of fluid into surrounding tissues and helping to limit oedema. Over 100 scientific articles have been published on the benefits of horse chestnut in symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency.
¤ Blueberry extract
, rich in antioxidant anthocyanadins, acts on vascular permeability and fragility.
¤ Grapeseed extract
, rich in proanthocyanidins, has a beneficial effect on the symptoms of venous insufficiency, particularly in improving capillary fragility.
, a flavonoid, modifies eicosanoid biosynthesis and prevents platelet aggregation. Its anti-inflammatory properties help control heavy leg swelling.
¤ Hawthorn berry extract
benefits cardiovascular health.
¤ Vitamin C
, a powerful antioxidant, works in synergy with plant extracts to help fight oxidative stress ; and through its collagen-producing role, it helps improve the health of vein walls.
|Daily dose : 6 capsules
Number of daily doses per box: 30
|Quantity per dose
||% of recommended daily amount
|Troxerutin (from 750 mg Sophorae japonica extract standardized to 95 % troxerutin)
|| 712,5 mg
|Diosmin (from 750 mg of Citrus aurantium extract standardised 90 % diosmin
|| 675 mg
|Aescin (from 240 mg of horse chestnut extract standardised 18 to 22 % aescin)
|| 43,2 mg
Quercetin (from 150 mg of Sophora japonica extract standardised 95 % quercetin)
|| 142,5 mg
Vit. C (calcium ascorbate))
|| 150 mg
Hesperidin (from 67.50 mg of Citrus aurantium extract standardised 95 % hesperidin)
|| 64 mg
Anthocyanidins (from 60 mg of blueberry extract standardised 25 % anthocyanidins)
|| 15 mg
Proanthocyanidins (from 60 mg of grapeseed extract
standardised 90-95 % proanthocyanidins)
|| 54 mg
Vitexin (from 45 mg of hawthorn berry extract standardised 2 % vitexin)
|| 0,9 mg
Other ingredients : Acacia gum, rice flour.
Directions for useVeinoMax
Adults : take two vegetarian capsules three times a day with each main meal, or as advised by your therapist.