Odourless asafoetida supplement | Digestive discomfort and bloating
Ferula Asafoetida is an extract of assa foetida resin (Ferula asafoetida) standardised to 2% volatile oils, compounds that are particularly active in the digestive system.
An Ayurvedic remedy traditionally used for treating digestive disorders (gastrointestinal problems, bloating, etc), asafoetida is attracting growing scientific interest following an increase in positive clinical studies.
What is assa-foetida, the plant from which the supplement Ferula Asafoetida is made?
Assa-foetida is a large perennial plant traditionally used in Asia for relieving a wide range of digestive problems such as flatulence, intestinal spasms, transient stomach aches, cramps and dyspepsia (persistent abdominal pain) in general ( (1).
In India, asafoetida is an important spice in Ayurvedic medicine, known as ‘Hing’ or ‘Hingu’.
A large number of scientific studies have been conducted to confirm empirical evidence gained from many populations over centuries. This research has revealed the existence of complex mechanisms of action on the digestive process (2-4).
What explains the potential gastric and intestinal benefits of assa foetida?
As with all species of the Ferula genus, Ferula Asafoetida secretes a specific substance when the root is cut: a gum-resin (5).
It’s this unusual compound which contains the precious substances responsible for the supposed benefits of ferula: resins (coumarins, ferulic acids, terpenoids …), gums and volatile oils (essential oils), several of which are thought to have antispasmodic properties (6).
Why choose our Ferula Asafoetida supplement?
Our Ferula Asafoetida supplement contains a high-quality extract called Asafin® which uses a patented process to increase the bioavailability, efficacy and palatability of the assa foetida. The advantages of this extract are that:
- it has been developed using proprietary, innovative technology based on soluble fibre (galactomannans) from fenugreek seeds (FenuMAT™), to ensure optimal storage conditions and bioavailability;
- while assa foetida gum-resin powder normally gives off a strong, unpleasant odour due to its organosulfur compounds, typical of Allium species, Asafin® extract comes in the form of flavourless, odourless capsules for greater acceptability;
- it contains at least 2% volatile oils;
- it is safe, and is supported by scientific research, including a clinical study on dyspepsia (a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 43 subjects).
Who is this asafoetida supplement aimed at?
Given the scientific research into Ferula asafoetida and traditional use of the plant, this extract is likely to be of interest to people with functional digestive disorders where no lesion has been found. These fall into two main types:
- digestive disorders of the stomach: loss of appetite, mild heartburn, belching, feeling over-full, temporary nausea, etc. ;
- digestive disorders of the gut: intestinal gas, spasms, stomach aches, bloating, flatulence …
People who are overweight, anxious or stressed, who engage in endurance sports or who have a chronic disease, are more likely to suffer from these sorts of recurrent problems.
Attention: persistent problems of this kind should be investigated by a gastroenterologist in order to identify a possible medical cause. After the age of 50, any change in intestinal transit should be checked by a specialist and may require an endoscopy or colonoscopy.
How should Ferula Asafoetida natural extract be taken?
We recommend taking 2 capsules a day, ie, 500mg of Asafin®. Clinical studies have used this same dose (2x250 mg a day).
Please note that this supplement is not recommended for people who are allergic or sensitive to plants from the umbelliferous family.
7 simple steps to support your gut health
As well as taking this supplement for your digestive problems, we’d also recommend adopting these 7 measures:
- eat slowly and calmly, chewing your food thoroughly, and drinking in between meals;
- avoid over-rich food;
- don’t lie down after a meal;
- take regular, moderate exercise to maintain optimal digestive transit;
- minimise alcohol consumption and smoking;
- limit your intake of fizzy drinks, coffee and heavily-spiced or acidic foods;
- and if symptoms persist, consider keeping a food journal to identify any potential triggers.
Which supplements should you take alongside your asafoetida resin extract?
To support your digestive system, it’s also worth considering the following supplements in addition to Ferula Asafoetida: