SAM-e Supplement - S-adenosyl-methionine with Anti-Depressant Properties
S-adenosyl-methionine (SAM-e) is a naturally-occurring compound in the body which promotes methylation, the process whereby methyl groups (one atom of carbon and 3 of hydrogen) are transferred from one molecule to another. Methylation is essential for many enzymatic processes and SAM-e is the most active of all methyl donors. Indeed, SAM-e has been the subject of dozens of clinical studies involving thousands of patients.
What are the benefits associated with SAM-e?
SAM-e plays a crucial role in conjunctive tissue synthesis; it eases joint pain, promotes mobility and protects cartilage from damage. In 2002, an American government agency, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) concluded that SAM-e was 80% more effective than a placebo at relieving osteo-arthritis pain, and as effective as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) at treating osteo-arthritis. NSAIDs are associated with serious side-effects while SAM-e has health benefits for the whole body:
- SAM-e supports hepatic synthesis of glutathione, an essential antioxidant. It stimulates the detoxification and regeneration of the liver. It has been used for treating cirrhosis and for helping people to give up alcohol and drugs.
- SAM-e helps treat depression naturally, more effectively and faster than anti-depressants, and without any side-effects. It simultaneously increases levels of several neurotransmitters - deficient in patients being treated for depression.
- The methylation promoted by SAM-e is a key element of the energy production process, particularly the recycling of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). SAM-e has a beneficial effect on the mechanisms of ageing by protecting desoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) from demethylation.
- SAM-e may also prevent cerebral ageing: in a recent animal study, SAM-e doubled glutathione levels in the brain and increased levels of its enzymatic metabolites by 98%. It decreased a marker of radical activity by 46%, and in culture, reduced lipid peroxidation by 55%. It is a powerful and pluripotent nutrient which can be life-changing when taken at sufficient levels and in the right form.
Why is SAM-e 400 mg supplement a better option?
We introduced SAM-e into Europe in 1998 and while its price has now been reduced by over 70%, it remains an expensive nutrient. It should be recognized that:
- SAM-e is a chiral molecule which exists in two forms: an active isomer (S,S) and an inactive isomer (R, S). All SAM-e products contain these two isomers in varying percentages. The SAM-e that we offer contains 70-80% of the (S,S) form which is the highest level available in a pharmaceutical grade product. Some (too) cheap products contain just 47% or less.
- SAM-e is a highly reactive and therefore very fragile molecule which degrades rapidly when subjected to heat, humidity or gastric acids. In fact, a poorly packaged SAM-e product will degrade in just a few hours, resulting in a total lack of biological activity. In order to preserve SAM-e from heat and humidity, it is essential that each tablet is double foil blister-packed. To protect it from gastric acids, it must be enteric-coated: pharmacokinetic studies show that this results in maximum serum levels. This type of packaging is more expensive but it is quite simply essential.
- The SAM-e we offer is obtained naturally, by microbiological fermentation and without use of solvents. It is specially packaged to ensure optimal stability and biological activity.
Like SAM-e, other substances with excellent therapeutic potential are also available to buy as nutritional supplements. Super Quercetin, for example, is a quercetin concentrate with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic and cardio-protective properties. Two natural extracts also recognised for their therapeutic efficacy are French oak, for reducing fatigue and improving mood, and hypericum, for combatting mild to moderate depression.
Alternative spelling/keywords :
SAM e, SAMe, SAM_e, SAM
|Daily serving: 2 tablets
Number of servings per bottle: 30
|Elemental S-Adenosyl Methionine (obtained from 1 600 mg of S-Adenosyl L-Methionine-disulfate p-toluenesulfonate)
|Other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium hydroxide, stearic acid, anhydrous calcium chloride, magnesium stearate, colloidal anhydrous silicon, calcium oxide, talc, shellac, arginine base, glycerol, silicon dioxide, sodium alginate.
Each gastroresistant tablet provides 400 mg of elemental S-Adenosyl Methionine.
Directions for use
Take 400 to 800 mg a day on an empty stomach, as required or as advised by your therapist. For preventative use, take 200 to 400 mg a day. This product is suitable for vegetarians.
Taking SAM-e is not advised for those who are on antidepressants, or who have Parkinson's disease or bipolar disorders. In these cases, please consult your therapist.
Value for money
Nehme es seit über 8 Jahren (ca. 2 Packungen pro Jahr). Meine Arthroseschmerzen im Knie sind nicht wieder aufgetaucht (nehme allerdings auch noch phasenweise Chondroitinsulfat).
CHEVALLIER APPERT Frederic
Parfait pour mon arthrose!
La qualité justifie le prix élevé?
tres bon produit je suis satisfaite merci
M. Alain Wysocki
J' utilise ce produit depuis 2 mois deja pour des douleurs d'arthrose/rhumatisme ( 2 comprimes par jour 1 le matin a jeun et l'autre dans l'apres-midi vers 16h/17h00 sur un estomac vide comme recommande). Sensationnel, je ne souffre vraiment plus.
Très bon produits
SCHNADT Hans Dieter
Alles O:K:, Bin sehr zufrieden.
Très bon produit je me sens mieux
SCHNADT Hans Dieter
SAM-e ist ein hervorragendes Schmerzmittel bei Artrose in den Fußgelenken.Ich nehme es regelmäßig seit über 2Jahren und habe keine Schmerzen mehr.
Va perfecto como desintoxicante hepático.
SAM-e très bon produit ça m’a aidé beaucoup dans ma dépression j espère le prendre a vie et que vous n augmenter pas le prix et mon arthrose plus des douleurs en courant car je fais la course à pieds