Ginkgo Biloba (60 mg) | Ginkgo Biloba Supplement
Ginkgo biloba 25mg is an exceptional supplement formulated from one of the oldest species of tree on Earth. Now one of the world’s most widely-used supplements , Ginkgo biloba boasts numerous scientifically-supported benefits for the circulation and for cognitive function.
The supplement offered by SuperSmart differs from other such products in that it has a very high content of active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B et C, bilobalides). Unlike many average products on the market, this supplement is composed exclusively of natural ingredients (natural extract of Ginkgo biloba, rice flour and acacia fibre).
Who is Ginkgo Biloba 60mg aimed at?
A truly exceptional species, Ginkgo biloba can improve daily life for all sorts of people.
Nonetheless, it is especially recommended for those at higher risk of cognitive decline and circulation problems:
- those aged over 50, particularly women;
- those who suffer with circulation problems;
- those who are not very physically active;
- those with raised cholesterol levels;
- those who smoke;
- those with hypertension;
- those who are overweight;
- those with a parent, brother or sister affected by significant cognitive decline.
What are the benefits offered by Ginkgo biloba?
Therapeutic use of Ginkgo biloba among Asian populations dates back thousands of years: it is actually one of traditional Chinese medicine’s most important plants.
Substantiating the experiences of these forebears, more than 200 studies conducted over the course of the 20th century have confirmed the effects of ginkgo biloba on circulation and brain function (1).
A positive effect on circulation
There are many compounds responsible for this effect, the most important of which are without doubt the flavonoids. These antioxidants are recognised for acting at all levels of the circulatory system (2). Ginkgo biloba contains a large number of them such as kaempferol, quercetol and luteolin, grouped together under the name ginkgo flavonglycosides. Once ingested, they help:
- relax capillary resistance;
- increase blood flow to the brain;
- combat platelet activating factor which promotes blood viscosity and inflammation of blood vessels (3-4);
- act as ‘flak-jackets’ against oxidising agents circulating in the blood that damage blood vessels (5-6);
- improve the fat and carbohydrate metabolism implicated in inflammation of blood vessel walls (7);
- improve the circulation (8-9).
Benefits for cognitive decline
Research shows that Ginkgo biloba is able to optimise cognitive function while at the same time slowing down cerebral ageing. Its high content of terpene lactones (primarily bilobalides) means it is able to protect mitochondrial barriers from oxidising elements (10-11), which helps increase energy production (fewer ‘leaks’). It also consolidates neural circuits which ensures the preservation of our memories and the optimisation of our cognitive faculties. (14).
In addition to its effect on mitochondrial function, Ginkgo biloba extract also contributes to several physiological improvements in cognitive health:
- increased serotonin in synapses which boosts activity in the hippocampus, a memory-integrating structure in the brain;
- stronger expression of the genes that control synaptic growth in neurons (15) ;
- deactivation of NF-kB, a pro-inflammatory molecule implicated in neuro death.
- Two recent meta-analyses identified studies highlighting these effects on the brain and confirmed ginkgo’s efficacy for improving daily life and problems with cognitive function (difficulty concentrating, changes in memory, confusion, low cognitive efficiency ...) (16).
5 good reasons to choose SuperSmart’s Ginkgo Biloba 60mg
- It’s an exceptionally high-quality product
with a high content in active principles: 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides
and 6% terpene lactones (ginkgolides A, B and C, bilobalides).
- the excipients used are
100% natural (acacia and rice flour).
- Ginkgo biloba is an extremely hardy species
: it has adapted to all the climate changes that have taken place over the last 150 million years or more, making it a genuine ‘living fossil’. In 1945, four ginkgo biloba trees survived the nuclear bomb at Hiroshima despite being located less than 3 kilometres from the impact. A feat which is testimony to their
- The lifespan of the Ginkgo biloba is extraordinary: the oldest specimens are 4000 years old and 40 metres tall. This longevity is attributed to the remarkable combination of micronutrients found in the tree’s cells which enables it to resist disease, parasites, pollutants, heat, insects and even ageing itself.
- It’s one of the most clinically-tested natural substances for improving the circulation and optimising cognitive function.
Additional steps you can take to enhance the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba supplementation
In order to deliver the benefits of Ginkgo biloba, our supplement is offered at a suggested dose of three capsules a day, to be taken with meals. While it can be adjusted in line with your needs and the advice of your therapist, this dose corresponds to the recommendations of Commission E (an independent scientific advisory board), the WHO and the IQWIG (an independent agency responsible for assessing the quality and efficiency of ingredients, amongst others). As ginkgo’s effects take a little while to be fully appreciated, it is advisable to continue supplementation for at least two to three months.
To enhance its efficacy, you can also adopt the following measures throughout the supplementation period:
1) Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible and consider taking a multivitamin supplement. Restoring optimal nutritional status in antioxidant micronutrients is essential for combatting cognitive decline and circulation problems.
2) Start taking exercise again, or if you’re already doing so, gradually increase its intensity. This will increase neurogenesis - the production of new neurons – and improve the volume of blood in the brain, resulting in improved cognitive performance. It will also promote compression of the muscles adjacent to veins, facilitating venous return.
3) Ensure you drink more water than usual (to prevent dehydration) and do deep breathing exercises several times during the day.
An age-old witness to the history of the world and humankind, Ginkgo biloba has managed to withstand all the challenges it has faced over time because of its unique richness in micronutrients. SuperSmart has harnessed the best of this remarkable tree to produce a 100% natural supplement.
This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to follow the guidelines on how to take it and the recommended dose, and to use it by the ‘best before’ date. It is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or for children under 15. Keep out of children’s reach. Store in a cool, dry place