Biotin: vitamin B7 supplement for strengthening the hair and nails
Biotin is a high-quality dietary supplement designed to improve the health and appearance of the hair, skin and nails. It primarily contains biotin, a natural substance essential for cell growth and metabolism of carbohydrates and amino acids. Boost your intake of vitamin B7 to compensate for any deficiencies and enhance your assets: you’ll be rewarded with stronger, silkier hair; a clearer, more radiant complexion; and tougher, smoother nails.
What exactly is biotin or vitamin B7?
Biotin is essential for all living species
Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin also known as vitamin B7, vitamin H and coenzyme R (or vitamin B8 in French-speaking countries). Relatively unknown by the general public, this coenzyme nevertheless plays a number of important roles in the body:
- it is necessary for cell growth;
- it is essential for the metabolism of proteins, lipids and carbohydrates;
- it participates in the production of energy in the Krebs cycle (the fundamental process whereby cells draw on glucose for energy);
- it supports the renewal of hair, skin and nail cells;
- it is involved in nervous system function;
- and it also promotes production of vitamins B9 and B12 (folic acid and cobalamin), which also contribute to cell renewal. (1) (2) (3)
Vitamin B7 is present in all living species. It has certain properties which have given it the moniker the ‘beauty vitamin’.
How are the body’s needs for biotin fulfilled?
Biotin can be directly synthesised in the body by certain gut bacteria.
But to fully satisfy our biotin requirements, we need to obtain additional vitamin B7 from the diet. Good sources include chicken liver, calves’ liver, beef kidneys, egg yolks, soybean sprouts, sweet potatoes, brewer’s yeast, royal jelly ...
However, the body is only able to store limited amounts of biotin which are rapidly exhausted, hence the advantage of taking biotin supplements specially developed to ensure a regular, adequate intake of vitamin B7.
What benefits are offered by the dietary supplement Biotin?
It makes hair stronger and shinier, and combats alopecia ...
The supplement Biotin is first and foremost a valuable aid in remedying many hair problems : thinning hair, split ends, coarse texture, dull colour … By compensating for a lack of vitamin B7, Biotin helps make hair stronger, less brittle, softer and shinier. It has a direct effect on hair growth by nourishing and stimulating follicles. (4)
Have you noticed that you’re losing more hair than before, that your scalp is increasingly visible? Of course hair loss not only affects men (particularly at the frontal hairline and on the crown or ‘vertex’) but women too (where it’s generally more diffuse and spread out). Biotin offers an excellent way of obstructing rampant alopecia of this kind. By restoring optimal levels of vitamin B7, both men and women will notice a deceleration in hair loss and and a stimulation in regrowth. (5)
It gives you healthy, soft, radiant skin, with no redness or acne
Biotin is also known to play a positive role in numerous problems of the skin and mucous membranes. (6) (7) As noted in this 2019 Italian study: “the use of biotin is justified in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis, because the vitamin intercepts the main metabolic pathways underlying the disease’s pathogenesis”. (8) Biotin actually plays an active role in regulating the sebaceous glands, which sometimes produce excessive levels of sebum.
This same study also highlighted biotin’s positive effect on comedonal acne and various problems of skin desquamation (flaking). Another study conducted by American scientists reported similar findings: “deficiency of biotin causes alopecia and a characteristic scaly, erythematous dermatitis distributed around body orifices”. (9) Vitamin B7 is also often used in the treatment of erythema (patches of red, raised skin).
Thus the supplement Biotin combats multiple skin problems and will help give you clearer, healthier and more radiant skin. There is also a problem that simultaneously affects both the hair and the skin: we know that a lack of vitamin B7 can cause seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, which often results in intense itching. But repeatedly scratching the scalp can damage hair follicles and seriously impair the condition of your hair. (10) Supplementing with biotin will help remedy the source of the problem, relieving the dermatitis that causes the itching and hair loss.
It makes your nails smoother and less brittle
The hair is not the only element of the ‘integumentary system’ to benefit from biotin. The integument corresponds to all biological tissues formed extensively of keratin (a natural, fibrous protein) which interact with the external environment. In humans, these include the hair, facial hair and nails ...
Vitamin B7 has been shown to be particularly effective at strengthening weak, brittle nails. Several scientific studies have noted that supplementing with vitamin B7 helps make nails stronger and thicker. According to a 2018 study conducted by a New York Department of Dermatology: “clinical trials have shown an improvement in firmness, hardness and thickness of brittle nails with oral biotin supplementation”. (11) (12) (13) (14) (15)
Important: excess and lack of vitamin B7
It’s impossible to have too much biotin
It’s important to note that taking this supplement cannot result in excessive biotin levels: being a water-soluble vitamin, any surplus biotin is directly eliminated via urine. The dose delivered by Biotin has been carefully calculated to meet your daily needs.
A lack of biotin, on the other hand, can have serious consequences. It can give rise to a series of health problems, often producing a rapid onset of troublesome symptoms.
Brittle hair and nails, conjunctivitis, mental health problems...
As we’ve seen, a deficiency in vitamin B7 can be at the root of all sorts of problems:
- brittle hair and hair loss ;
- skin disorders (oily skin, acne, dermatitis, intertrigo) and a dull, tired, complexion ;
- inflammation of the mucous membranes, sometimes accompanied by fungal infections such as candidiasis;
- weak, soft, and cracked nails;
- muscle cramps, nerve damage and conjunctivitis ;
- episodes of drowsiness, mood disorders , panic attacks, and even hallucinations, nausea;
- mental function disorders, decline in mental performance and irreversible damage to the central nervous system;
- premature death from metabolic acidosis ;
- fœtal growth delay when a pregnant woman becomes deficient, etc. (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22)
What are the potential causes of biotin deficiency?
A lack of this vitamin can be brought on by various factors:
- impaired absorption;
- excessive alcohol consumption, which inhibits uptake of vitamin B7 ;
- excessive consumption of egg white without the yolk (egg white, especially when raw, contains avidin, a protein that prevents biotin absorption – this is even referred to as egg white injury, sometimes seen in bodybuilders who become deficient after eating too many egg whites);
- chronic intestinal problems, as harmful bacteria in the microbiota disrupt production of vitamin B7;
- certain genetic abnormalities that cause a deficit in biotinidase, an enzyme responsible for recycling biotin (a mutation potentially responsible for ataxia, mental delay ...) ;
- epilepsy treatments (based on primidone, carbamazepine...) ;
- or simply inadequate dietary intake(due to special diets, anorexia, parenteral nutrition, dietary habits ...) (23) (24) (25) (26)
Which supplements can be combined with Biotin?
Are you keen to look after the inside, as well as the outside, of your body? To boast a thick head of hair, a radiant complexion and perfect nails? SuperSmart offers a wide range of products that work synergistically with Biotin, to boost and embellish your precious beauty assets:
- if your main concern is preventing hair loss, you should definitely opt for Keranat™. This excellent formulation based on plant extracts has been specially developed to help restrict hair loss and optimise regrowth;
- the supplement Hair & Nails Formula, contains an exceptionally high-quality form of solubilised keratin. This formulation will help give you stronger, shinier hair and nails;
- and for your skin, there’s Skin Ceramides a benchmark product for fighting skin ageing and dryness. Rich in natural ceramides (components of the hydrolipid barrier), this supplement will help hydrate your skin, maintain its suppleness and restore its radiance. Combine this product with Biotin for optimal skin protection.