Damiana Extract is an aphrodisiac supplement made from the leaves of the damiana plant (Turnera aphrodisiaca). It is designed to increase sexual desire, reduce stress linked to sexual problems, and improve sensitivity and orgasm frequency.
Traditionally recognised as a sex tonic, damiana contains a number of specific compounds which give it its physiological effects.
Who is Damiana Extract aimed at?
Damiana Extract is for anyone who wants to rekindle the flame of desire and increase their sexual activity.
It is also for:
- women who find it difficult to achieve orgasm;
- women who have lost interest in sex and erotic fantasies;
- men who frequently have erectile problems (who are unable to achieve an erection or maintain a firm enough erection) ;
- men and women whose sexual desire has deserted them;
- men and women who block out the thought of sexual activity or find it repellent;
- men and women who feel anxious or stressed about sexual activity.
What is in Damiana Extract and how does it work?
Turnera aphrodisiaca is a small American shrub with a long history of therapeutic use. Before the arrival of the Europeans, the Maya people used its leaves – which they called mizibcoc – to treat dizziness and to make an aphrodisiac drink. The plant was subsequently included in several European and American pharmacopoeia, primarily for its effects as a sexual stimulant. The famous British Herbal Pharmacopoeia included other applications such as impotence-related anxiety, depression and coital incapacity.
These effects are the result of several substances present in damiana leaves, as well as in the essential oil and shoots: terpene compounds, caffeine, arbutin, β-sitosterol (phytosterols), as well as flavonoids such as apigenin, damianin and echinacin (1-3).
It is the flavonoids which are largely responsible for damiana’s effects on sex drive (4). They help stimulate blood flow, increase testosterone production in men and improve ejaculation problems. More specifically, apigenin promotes mental relaxation and physical well-being, both of which are essential for fostering healthy sexual activity, while caffeine acts as a natural tonic. Two double-blind, placebo-controlled studies (5-6) have demonstrated the efficacy of natural products containing damiana extracts for increasing sexual desire and frequency of orgasms, particularly in perimenopausal women.
Damiana has other applications too: it plays a role in weight control, dysmenorrhea (an oestrogenic action), benign prostatic hyperplasia (an anti-aromatase effect), and pre-menstrual syndrome, and also fights oxidative stress.
How should Damiana Extract be taken?
To obtain significant effects, it’s advisable to take a daily dose of 2-3 capsules for several weeks.
For men with erectile problems, it can be combined with Prosexstim, a natural stimulant of erectile function. To promote greater relaxation and well-being, a better combination choice is Super Ashwagandha an Ayurveda extract ofWithania somnifera.
Although damiana is very well-tolerated, it can have blood sugar-lowering effects, which may well overlap with those of plants or supplements with a hypoglycaemic action (such as berberine).
- Szewczyk K., Zidorn C. (2014). Ethnobotany, phytochemistry, and bioactivity of the genus Turnera(Passifloraceae) with a focus on damiana–Turnera diffusa. J. Ethnopharmacol. 152 424–443. 10.1016/j.jep.2014.01.019
- Dominguez XA, Hinojosa M. Mexican medicinal plants. XXVIII. Isolation of 5-hydroxy-7,3',4'-trimethoxy flavone from Turnera diffusa. Planta Med. 1976;30:68–71
- Steinmetz EF. Damianae folia. Acta Phytotherapeut. 1960;7:1–2
- Estrada-Reyes R, Ortiz-López P, Gutiérrez-Ortíz J, Martínez-Mota L. Turnera diffusa Wild (Turneraceae) recovers sexual behavior in sexually exhausted males. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;123:423–9.
- Ito TY, Trant AS, Polan ML. A double-blind placebo-controlled study of ArginMax, a nutritional supplement for enhancement of female sexual function.J Sex Marital Ther. 2001 Oct-Dec;27(5):541-9.
- Ito TY, Polan ML, et al. The enhancement of female sexual function with ArginMax, a nutritional supplement, among women differing in menopausal status. J Sex Marital Ther. 2006 Oct-Dec;32(5):369-78.
|Daily dose: 3 capsules
Number of doses per pack: 30
|Amount per dose
| Extract of damiana leaf 4:1
|Other ingredients: acacia gum, white rice bran.
Directions for useDamiana Extract
Take 3 capsules a day. Each capsule contains 250 mg of damiana leaf extract.
Natural, safe and effective, Prosexstim is an excellent supplement for maintaining or restoring good erectile function. It can be taken at a dose of 300mg a day, either on its own or together with L-arginine, or other pro-sexual supplements.
Why take Prosexstim?
Erectile dysfunction is a widespread condition affecting men of all ages, and represents a significant problem for sexually active men. It is defined as “the persistent inability to maintain or achieve a penile erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual activity”.
Solutions aimed at stimulating sexual performance normally require the use of a host of plant-based or synthetic substances (heterosides, alkaloids), which can produce inconsistent results as well as unwelcome side-effects, meaning long-term use has to be restricted. Such is the case with plants such as epimedium, muira puama, tongkat ali and damiana (Turnera diffusa) all of which have contraindications, particularly in the case of hypertension or cardiovascular problems.
Prosexstim is therefore made with EnoSTIM, which offers a combination of plant extracts with well-established pharmacology, meticulously chosen for their safety. NO is fully recognised as playing a crucial role in erectile function. It is formed from an amino acid precursor, L-arginine, via the action of the eNOS enzyme. The NO pathway is pivotal because blood flow will only allow an erection to be achieved when sufficient levels of nitric oxide reach the penis. It is therefore important to ensure constant and adequate NO production.
What are the benefits of Prosexstism?
Prosexstim unique and exclusive formulation of polyphenols derive both from apples (Malus pumila) and grape marc or pomace (Vitis vinifera), and enriched with a specific, proprietary extract of saffron stigma (Crocus sativus). Specially developed to offer a natural and safe solution to male sexual dysfunction, Prosexstim works synergistically at a number of levels:
- Its ability to increase nitric oxide (NO) makes it a powerful vasodilator: NO is the cornerstone of the vasodilation mechanism that enables penile erection. Dysfunction at this level is known to affect more than 52% of men aged 40-70. Studies have demonstrated that an enzyme called eNOS (endothelial nitric oxide synthase) plays a role in directly synthesising nitric oxide. In vitro and in vivo research has shown this exclusive formulation to activate eNOS and thus increase vasodilation by up to 50%.
- It provides nitric oxide protection: Prosexstim's unique formulation means it is able to protect nitric oxide which has a short lifespan and is easily degraded by superoxide radicals. An in vivo study showed that the antioxidant compounds in Prosexstim specifically protect NO by producing a 74% reduction in oxidative stress.
- The Persians and Egyptians traditionally used saffron stigma for aphrodisiac purposes. More recently, a number of clinical studies have confirmed its ability to improve male sexual performance. A recent 10-day pilot study of 24 patients with erectile dysfunction showed that taking saffron may significantly improve the number and duration of erections. Furthermore, the apple and grape polyphenols in Prosexstim are recognised and used in sports nutrition for their antioxidant and vasorelaxant properties.
CompositionProsexstim 150 mg
|Daily dose: 2 capsules
Number of doses per pack: 30
|Amount per dose
|EnoSTIM™ [Extracts of grape marc (Vitis vinifera), apple (Malus pumila) and saffron stigma (Crocus sativus)]
|Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice flour.
EnoSTIM™, Nexira, France.
Directions for useProsexstim 150 mg
adults. Take 2 capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 150mg EnoSTIM™.