CDP Choline 250 mg
Cytidine 5-diphosphocholine (CDP-choline) is an exceptionally bio-available form of choline which readily crosses the blood-brain barrier into the central nervous system, where it is directly incorporated into the phospholipidic fraction of membranes and microsomes.
What are the benefits associated with CDP-choline?
It increases levels of the main neurotransmitters (norepinephrine, dopamine and acetylcholine) and directly improves cerebral metabolism through several mechanisms:
- CDP-choline supports cognitive function and facilitates communication between neurons;
- It supports cerebral metabolism and mitochondrial activity in neurons;
- It activates biosynthesis and maintains the quality of phospholipids which make up a third of all brain tissue;
- It helps maintain memory and cognitive function by supporting healthy levels of acetylcholine as well as activity of the nerves which respond to acetylcholine.
What do studies show about CDP Choline?
A number of human studies evaluating the ability of CDP-choline to halt age-related decline in memory have shown significant results at dosages of between 1000 and 2000 mg a day:
- It is used to help re-absorption of oedema caused by cranial trauma and stroke;
- CDP-choline has been studied, with varying results, for its ability to accelerate recovery in patients suffering from post-traumatic coma and in those with ischemic and thrombotic problems.
- Its neuro-protective power makes it an excellent supplement both for treating chronic cognitive decline associated with ageing and as an adjunct treatment for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. In animal studies, CDP-choline inhibited neuronal degeneration induced by the damaging beta-amyloid protein which is found abundantly in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.
|Daily serving: 4 capsules
Number of servings per bottle: 15
|Cognizin® [Cytidine 5-diphosphocholine (CDP-choline)]
||1 000 mg
|Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice bran.
Cognizin®, Kyowa Hakko, Japan.
Each vegetarian capsule contains 250 mg of cytidine 5-diphosphocholine (CDP‑choline).
Directions for use
People over 40 can take two to four capsules a day to optimize performance or as a preventive measure. Those who need to can take four to six capsules a day, on the advice of their therapist.